Monday, February 8, 2010

Better Than Peanut Butter Cups


Adapted from The Kind Diet Cookbook

Do you love the marriage of Chocolate and Peanut Butter?
I made these little bites of deliciousness for the Superbowl and in the words of one of my friends, "These are better than Peanut Butter Cups!" I am going to have to make them a Superbowl tradition!
Keep them stored in the freezer, and eat them slightly chilled. mmmmmmmm
Its really, truly a shame that mine are already gone....

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
makes 12 large

What you need:

Regular sized muffin tin (holds 12 muffins)
muffin liners (I like the ones that are foil lined for this recipe)
1/2 cup of Earth Balance Butter
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of crunchy peanut butter (the natural kind with no salt added, unsweetened that has to be stirred is best.)
11 vegan graham cracker squares, crushed very finely (5 1/2 graham cracker sheets)
1/4 cup+ 3 Tbsp raw turbinado sugar
1 cup of vegan semi sweet chocolate chips(Ghirardelli makes really good ones)
1/4 cup of unsweetened soy, rice, or almond milk
1/4 cup of chopped nut of choice, I used a blend of walnuts and pecans

To make:
Line muffin tins with liners.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in 3/4 c. peanut butter, graham crackers, and sugar. Remove the mixture from the heat and evenly fill the muffin liners. About 2 Tbsp. per cup.
Over very low heat in a small saucepan, combine the chocolate, 2 Tbsp. Peanut butter, and milk and stir until just melted. Sweeten to taste with a little extra turbinado sugar (about 3-4 Tbsp.). Evenly distribute the chocolate on top of peanut butter layer in each cup. Sprinkle each peanut butter cup with chopped nuts and a generous sprinkling of turbinado sugar. Place in the freezer to chill for a few hours to let the mixture set and get firm. Keep in the freezer and pull out individually when you get the urge!

8 comments:

  1. love this blog morgan! i love the kind diet book...i get a lot of recipes from it as well. i saw these and didn't dare try them, but you make them look so good, i think i'll have to. keep up the recipes :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new Little House of Veggies Health blog. The Better than Peanut Butter Cups looks awesome. I love that I can print these recipes and start a wonderful collection of tried and delicious foods that I know everyone will like. Thank you for sharing with all of us:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we say little piece of heaven? I'm so excited to try those out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband loves these! i'm not a big fan of peanut butter, so i'm going to experiment with almond butter and see what happens. love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I absolutely love the peanut butter cups! I made these last night and they are AWESOME and were such a hit with my family!! I can't wait to try the other recipes!! I will have to experiment and see how I can make this low-calorie.....Thanks Morgan - keep 'em coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Morgan! I just made these this weekend for a dessert party and they rocked! They were soo yummy.. and dangerous! Great recipe :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Morgan,

    I am so exciting about these delicious food. I will try your recipes. I lost your number :(. Could you please email me at angelecathie@yahoo.com.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these for the first time over the weekend and they are AMAZING! I just need to find the small foil cupcake liners.

    ReplyDelete