Monday, February 15, 2010

Cabbage Taco Salad


One of my very favorite places to eat is at Native Foods, a vegan restaurant here in Southern California. I have seriously never tasted anything that the chef there, Tanya Petrovna, has made that I didn't love. I got the idea for this dish from a class I took from her. Hers was so amazing, and she made her refried beans from scratch. While I would totally be up to making them from scratch on a weekend when I had the time, I usually do not have the time to sit around and baby a pot of beans for hours. I usually have at most an hour to think of and whip up dinner, and that is pushing it! So I made a modified and much easier, and really quick version of what she taught us, and it was seriously delicious! I loved it, and so did my whole family. It was really filling, yet light and healthy at the same time. This is one that the husbands will love...
and, if you pack a lunch for your husband to take to school/work, this one packs perfectly because cabbage travels and keeps so much better thann regular lettuce!
Cabbage Taco Salad
what you need:
1 can of Vegetarian refried beans, heated
10 corn tortillas, toasted in the oven or warmed up in the microwave briefly and then cut up into smaller triangle like peices.
1 can (the slightly bigger size) of diced green chilies
2 medium tomatoes, chopped and sprinkled with a little sea salt and pepper
2 cups or so of shredded napa cabbage
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup of sliced black olives
Tofutti non-dairy sour cream - See below for the sour cream drizzle
Sour cream drizzle: mix a dollop of the Tofutti sour cream with water to thin out into more of a dressing. Season it with Salt, and pepper to taste.
To Assemble:
Place a few of the toasted corn tortilla triangles at the bottom of each bowl. Top with a scoop of the refried beans, then cabbage, green chilies, avocado, and tomatoes. Drizzle with a little sour cream drizzle, mix it up and enjoy! It seriously does not get much easier than this one!

3 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious-I can't wait to try it. I love printing all these recipes and making a book-Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to try one day this week. Thanks for sharing. Love the vegan

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love this! I have my double batch of refried beans ready for the week. We love the cabbage over lettuce!

    ReplyDelete