Friday, February 19, 2010

Spicy Tomato Soup with Wilted Greens



mmmmmmmm...

I love soups so much. It's filling and satisfying while still keeping you feeling light and energized after. I had some things I needed to use up, and a soup is usually the perfect vehicle to do just that! You can literally throw whatever you want in this. Use any shape of pasta you want, and any greens you have. Get creative! If you have young kids, they would probably love a whole grain bow tie or elbow macaroni noodle added in! This soup turned out so delicious! I served it with some toasty homemade bread. You can get my go to whole wheat bread recipe here from the Bake-A-Holic. It is the best one I have found!


Spicy Tomato Soup with Wilted Greens
What you need:
3 Tbsp.Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 26-ounce jar of your favorite pasta marinara sauce
Check the label on the sauce, make sure it has clean ingredients
1 32 ounce box of vegetable stock
15-ounce can great northern white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
3/4 cup of any whole grain pasta shape.
All I had around was a few sheets of leftover Whole Wheat lasagna noodles,
so I just broke that up in small pieces. Use any shape you want.
a couple huge handfuls of spinach
few pinches of sea salt
few pinches pepper
lots of fresh parsley for garnish
To Make:
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook the onion, carrots, and garlic, and saute 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add marinara sauce, vegetable broth, beans, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes, then stir in the spinach right at the last minute just to let it wilt a little. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.


3 comments:

  1. We love tomato soup at our house. We'll have to try this one. Thanks Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like something I could make! Super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup looks amazing. I am going to make it for your Dad since his favorite thing is my homemade soups. I just made my specialty Minestrone Soup the other night and your Dad kept eating and eating and eating it. He loves it. So, I will try this soup on him and let you know. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete