If you have never tried Tempeh as a protein alternative to animal proteins, I highly recommend giving it a try. Some people love it (my whole family does!) and some people don't care for it at all. But hopefully, after you read this post, It will have at least sparked your interest in giving it a try.
Tempeh can be purchased at most all health food stores, and is usually in with some of the other vegan goods, like tofu. Litelife is a great brand. It comes in a kind of brick, usually in about 8 ounce servings. It is made from slightly fermented soybeans and it has been used as a staple food in Indonesia for hundreds of years. It is loaded with health benefits too. Some of these benefits include...
- 1 serving of Tempeh has more fiber than most people consume in an entire day. A 4 ounce serving has about 9 grams of fiber!
- It is easy to digest
- Low in sodium
- It contains natural antibiotics against some disease causing organisms
- Its great for diabetics who can have a hard time digesting animal proteins
- The protein is coupled with fiber (unlike animal proteins) and this helps to keep the blood sugar levels stable.
- It has photochemicals like isoflavones that strengthen bones, help with menopausal symptom's, reduces risk of coronary health diseases and some cancers.
- AND, it is a complete protein containing all of the essential amino acids
These are just some of the benefits of Tempeh. Give it a try and see what you think!