Saturday, February 13, 2010

Whole Wheat Penne with Spinach-artichoke cream sauce


I got the base idea for this recipe from The Vegan Cooks Bible, which is such a good book to have. I actually got it for Christmas from my sweet Mother-in-law, and she is the queen of finding great books. I made a few changes to the recipe, as I almost always do. I never really follow recipes to a tee. This is kid friendly (at least my kids loved it), but they do pretty much love anything that is paired with pasta. I love it when I find a recipe that is easy, and has fairly simple ingredients that you usually have sitting around anyways. As much as I love to cook a fancy, more labor intensive recipe... my weeks are busy, and I also love simplicity. Some people have a hard time with the whole wheat Penne, but I actually like it better. It has a little more of a bite which I like (I think it makes it more satisfying), and is so much healthier than its refined white cousin. Give it a try and see what you think!
Whole Wheat Penne with Spinach-Artichoke cream sauce
What you need:
3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 regular sized can artichoke hearts in water with their liquid
1 10 ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
3/4 cup or so of Tofutti non dairy sour cream (just eyeball it)
2 1/2 cups of whole wheat penne
Huge handful of chopped fresh parsley
dried Italian herbs
sea salt and pepper to taste
To Make:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.. Cook pasta according to package directions. While the pasta cooks, make the Spinach-Artichoke Cream Sauce.
Spinach-Artichoke Cream Sauce:
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Add artichokes with liquid and spinach. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in the Tofutti Sour Cream and heat through. Season the sauce with dried Italian herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
To Assemble:
add the past to the cream sauce, and them add in lots of fresh parsley at the last minute.
Serve and Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! You are making my life much easier because I can now look at your blog/PRINT and plan my menu- I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaa! I love your blog! So many good, yet healthy pastas. I'm totally going to try this one! I think whole wheat pasta has better flavor too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks soooooo amazing! Is there anything I could substitute for the Tofutti cream cheese? I can't mind it at my grocery store and it is quite a drive to the nearest Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this back in March and have continued to keep the ingredients handy to make all the time. What a wonderful flavor!!

    ReplyDelete