Friday, March 26, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

There is something so satisfying, nourishing, and comforting about a warm bowl of oatmeal.
Regular stove oats are great, but have you ever tried baking it in the oven?
Not only is the texture and flavor amazing, but it creates an aroma of what's to come throughout the entire house. When you have to wait a little longer to eat it, it tastes so much better! And because of the slow cooking, the apples and raisins have time to sweeten the oatmeal naturally.
I have been making this recipe for my family for about 4 or 5 years. It is a staple for us. I have changed it, and made so many variations of it. But this is the variation I make most often. When I get up in the morning, I will throw this in the oven to start baking, go get the kids up and get ready, and when we are finished, breakfast is awaiting us!



Oven Baked Oatmeal

What you Need:
2 Cups old fashioned oats (not instant)

3 cups of almond, rice, hemp, or soy milk

1 apple, grated

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract

pinch of sea salt

4 Tbsp of Pure, Grade B maple syrup, or Brown Rice Syrup

1/4 cup dried raisins

1/4 cup chopped almonds or slivered almonds

To Make:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In an 8x8 inch square baking dish add all ingredients and stir well. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the top looks golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
You can also make this in large ramekins.

11 comments:

  1. that sounds fantastic! Ill have to give that a try! Following you back from FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! This oatmeal looks so delicious. I am going to try it and make it for breakfast for everyone Saturday morning. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea oatmeal could be made in the oven. It looks great! I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - looks fantastic! I love oatmeal but have never tried to bake it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was wonderful! Served it as an dessert as Ben called this dish. Saving remaining for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just tried this and we LOVE it! I accidentally got steel cut oats but (though a bit chewy) they still worked out ok with some extra time and liquid. Will try it with regular oats again - soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really loved this, it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made this for my family for breakfast- looks and smells fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely wonderful! I made this for my mom, sister and I for breakfast this morning and everyone LOVED it! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan, I am really enjoying your blog! I like the design, the photos, the recipes, the writing, and the fact that your cute kids are featured. It helps for people to see that vegan food is quite kid-friendly. I posted about your baked oatmeal and rainbow salad on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Morgan, I love your blog. Your recipes are so inspirational, and delicious! I tried your baked oatmeal recently, and posted to my blog: http://onthevedge.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-review-baked-oatmeal-little.html

    It was fantastic! I will honestly never make oatmeal any other way again. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete