Friday, March 19, 2010

CSA




I love to support our local organic farmers by being part of a
CSA
(community supported agriculture)
program.

I have a few goals that I am trying to improve on, and one of them is to try and eat a little more seasonally when I can, and use what I can get locally and organically from the farmers. When you really think about it, most of the stuff we eat has been shipped pretty far to us
so we can eat it at a time of year that it isn't even growing! So, buying from local farms means eating what is growing right now!

Every friday we will be getting a box of mixed fruits and veggies (whatever was ripe and ready that week). We will get different things each week which I think is really fun, and I hope it will encourage me to get creative and see what I can come up with from the stash we receive. This week we got all kinds of good things, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, collard greens, cauliflower, beets, carrots, oranges and tangelos, apples and pears, fingerling potatoes, red onions, leeks, avocados, artichokes, and other goodies. And again, all from local farms and all organic!

Very cool. This is just a step closer for me to living more "in touch" with nature. I have to admit that I love where I live so much. Lots of farmers markets, CSA's, and Co-op farms within easy reach.

I will also be creating and posting one recipe per week, featuring something seasonal from our fresh produce we get. So keep checking back!
And check out your area to see if they offer Csa and Co-op whrere you are at!




2 comments:

  1. WOW!! You are so lucky to have this opportunity. I don't know if we have anything like that here, but definately not in the winter-NOTHING GROWS HERE IN SNOWLAND for 6 months-lol. Actually, sprouts in the kitchen grow really well. Iam definately jealous....When I come visit I will take a bunch of stuff back with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooklyn is so cute looking at all the produce.

    ReplyDelete