Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cutie Pita Pockets with Chickpea salad

What's for lunch?

That is usually the question of the day from my little cuties in the afternoon.
Today, cute kid sized pitas with my very favorite Clausen pickles. My kids loved these (and so do I!). They have a sort of tuna like feel to them, Great for getting some good protein in for a veggie kid!
And the best part of all, they took me about 3 minutes to make because it was leftover filling from wraps we had for dinner the other night. I love leftovers!
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are an excellent source of fiber, and they help lower your cholesterol and maintain blood sugar levels because they are low glycemic. They are an excellent, low fat source of protein, and a complex carbohydrate. Even more reasons to enjoy them regularly, right?!

This is a great, healthy, fun lunch for children, and awwesome to pack in their school lunches!



Cutie Pita Pockets with Chickpea Salad

What you need:

Mini whole grain pita pockets (make sure they are preservative free, clean ingredients) I got mine at Trader Joes
Clausen pickles (found in refrigerated section)


Chickpea Salad (pocket filling)
adapted from The Vegan Table

2 can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegan Mayonnaise (Vegannaise and Wild Foods garlic Aoli are awesome!)

1 red bell pepper very finely diced

2 carrots, very finely diced

2 stalks celery, very finely diced

1 cup of walnuts or almonds

big handful of fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. Annies organic Dijon mustard

1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon

Your favorite salt free seasoning, Mrs. Dash, Spike, or just salt and pepper

In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas until they are chopped up pretty small. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend again. Add seasonings, or salt and pepper to taste.

To make:
serve in a mini pita, regular sized pita or a whole grain wrap, of course with a crunchy pickle on the side.






6 comments:

  1. Looks awesome, and Aliyah is adorable in these pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds super yummy!
    Heather recommended your blog to me as I'm trying to go full vegetarian (not quite vegan though- maybe in time but that'd be intense for me!). I am definitely following- I need some good recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious Morgan. I love Garbanzo beans in things. Love this recipe-thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these this weekend and they were soooo YUM!! I did not have red bell pepper, but since they were for me I used a bit of fresh jalapeno pepper (seeds and all!) instead. I also did not have dijon mustard, so instead used a small amount of dry mustard mixed into my veganaise with good results. I thru it all inside a pita pocket with field greens, fresh spinach, sliced red onion and pea shoots. Holy delicious lunch! Awesome use of chick peas instead of the standard hummus. I eat sandwiches for lunch everyday - and this will definitely become part of my standard rotation... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this recipe!! Fell in love with chickpeas and now want to use them with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this recipe this week, and WOW - this is amazing. We halved the recipe because it makes a lot...we've had two dinner, and STILL have leftovers!

    ReplyDelete