Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins




I had a request this morning from my girls for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. I looked through the house to see what we had on hand, and we just happen to have some fresh, organic local lemons from our CSA produce. So I was off to the kitchen to see what I could come up with for them. .The result was oh so delicious!




Lemon Poppy seed Muffins


What you Need:


1/2 cup whole wheat flour


1/2 cup white whole wheat four


1/2 tsp baking soda


2 tsp. baking powder


1/4 tsp. sea salt


zest from one lemon


2/3 cup sucanat (natural sugar cane)


1/4 cup canola oil


1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce


2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds mixed with 6 Tbsp. water


4 tsp. poppy seeds


1/2 cup almond, hemp, rice, or soy milk


Raw turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top of muffin


To Make:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with Muffin liners.


Start by mixing 2 Tbsp. of flax seeds with 6 Tbsp. of water. Set aside to thicken.


Mix all of the dry ingredients in one bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients.


Gently mix the wet and the dry ingredients together until just combined. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full, and sprinkle the tops of the muffins with raw turbinado sugar.


Bake for 25 minutes, until lightly golden. Let cool for 5 minutes.


7 comments:

  1. These look great, I am going to try these Sunday morning. I am really enjoying your blog, someone mentioned it on The kind Life website, that is how I found it- and I am so glad! I have three kids and your recipes look like things they will at least try- that is all I am asking of them right now. I have been vegan for two months and feel like a new person- the challenge is the family! Thanks for sharing your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look so good. What is the difference between sucanat and raw turbino sugar? I haven't purchased sucanat before, I don't think. I love that these have the ground flax seed in them and the fresh lemon. I love making muffins, so I am so excited to have another healthy, muffin idea. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE lemon and poppy seeds!.... and how good does that baked oatmeal look!! I'm SO going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia,
    I am so glad you are enjoying the blog! It is always so flattering to me to have anyone say that! Congrats on making some very healthful changes for yourself!I think your kids would love these recipes! I asm feeding young kids myself! (I have 3 too!) GOod luck on the cooking! I would love to know what you think of anything that you try!

    Sucanat (sugar cane natural) has much lower sucrose levels than refined white sugar, which is almost entirely sucrose. It is a NON REFINED cane sugar, which,unlike refined white sugar retains its molasses content. It is PURE DRIED CANE JUICE.
    Raw turbinado sugar only retains a trace amount of molasses, and is similar to refined white sugar, just with a very light golden brown color, and a slight molasses flavor.
    This is my reasoning for using sucanat in the recipe, and just sprinkling turbinado on the top. Turbinado has a similar flavor to white sugar, and just a little on the top gives it a sweet punch (and totally enhances the muffin flavor!).
    Both are easy to find these days too.!

    Heather
    You have got to make the baked oatmeal for Gracie! Im serious! It has been a staple and a lifesavor when it comes to healthy breakfasts for the girls, for years! Plus, it reheats really well, so any leftovers are just ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan, how do I go about getting CSA produce delivered to me in Dallas? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan- Will you please post more info CSA produce? I would love to learn more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved these muffins. My kids helped make them and were thinking they were not going to like them because of the soy milk but they love them.

    ReplyDelete