Monday, March 22, 2010

Pasta alla Formiana


I adapted this recipe from one that I saw Giada make on the Food Network. its so good and comfort food at its best to me!  Despite it being incredibly easy, it looks impressive, so its perfect for making as a centerpiece for special occasions or when having company over!

Pasta alla Formiana
Adapted recipe from Food Networks Everyday Italian


What you need:
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 pound whole wheat Pennie pasta (8 ounces)
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1/4 cup dried oregano (no that is not a typo, it is 1/4 cup. You have gotta love oregano to love this dish!)
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
4-5 very ripe, extra large beefsteak tomatoes, cut in 1/2 inch thick slices
To Make:
Put oven rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease an 8x8 inch glass baking dish and set aside.
In a food processor, blend together crushed tomatoes and garlic. Pour into a medium bowl and add uncooked pasta, 1/4 cup olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss until all ingredients are coated.
Line the bottom and sides of baking dish with tomato slices.




Drizzle the top with a little extra olive oil, and bake until the tomatoes are crispy, and the pasta is cooked, about 1 hour. let cool 5 minutes before serving.

Then pour the pasta/tomato sauce mixture in the dish on top of the tomatoes.

Layer tomatoes on the top, to completely cover the pasta mixture.



The thing I loved about this dish was that the pasta noodles weren't cooked beforehand. They just cooked in the tomato sauce in the oven, and the pasta cooked perfectly! Serve this with a crisp side salad!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my heck, I LOVE LOVE this one! My favorite foods always have some sort of red sauce. I'm actually going to print this one off, cause I need a good recipe to try this week. (I'm trying to do one new recipe a week!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta alla Formiana looks delicious, fancy and easy to make. YUMMY!! I really like Giada too-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Heather! You will LOVE it! It is seriously so easy to make, and taste really gourmet delicious! Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy YUM! This looks so delicious.. ! I am so happy to have found your uber cute blog as well - thanks to The Kind Life! Yay.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you mention ideas on what to eat along with it. The crisp side salad. Makes it so easy for me when planning a meal. Love your website!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks absolutely amazing! I'm such a pasta boy so I'm definitely going to have to try this out, ASAP. Love the blog. Recently became a vegan and finding fun and exciting meals can become quite tricky! Definitely coming back for more recipes. Keep up the good work!

    www.anernestpointofview.blogspot.com

    Ernest B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got it in my oven right now! Everything came together wonderfully and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the great recipes, my boyfriend is vegetarian and he is so happy that blogs like this exist along with the book The Kind Life. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We ate it all in one sitting!! It was fabulous, and the tomatoes around it add such character to the dish and you look forward to them and I love how they get roasted on top. Also the pasta cooked perfectly, I was very happy you didn't have to even cook the pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very delicious! Loved it, will definitely make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my!!! I'm definitely baking this up on Sunday. Looks like a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rochelle! You will love it! Its really great! Let me know how it turns out! happy cooking girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to try this with basil instead of oregano (cuz that is what I have growing outside)

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im so glad so many of you have loved the recipe!! Thanks for all of your feedback! Happy Cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl behind the Glass- I bet this would be just as delicious with a bunch of fresh basil!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was really yummi, I used more pasta and less oil, salt and oregano.
    My boyfriend and I loved it, thanks for the great recipe! Will definitely be making it again and such good leftovers too mmm
    -Tina and Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so glad you liked the pasta! You reminded me that I need to make it again! Its one of my husbands faves!

      Delete