Sunday, March 28, 2010

Raw Sweet Vanilla Almond Milk

There are some fabulous milk alternatives out there to buy, like hempseed milk, coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk, rice milk, etc., but nothing can compare to the rich, smooth, creamy sweetness that is my homemade raw creamy vanilla almond milk. It is so decadent and delicious and heavenly tasting, and it's loaded with so much nutrition.
Everything about this milk is so nourishing and good for your body! It is really easy to make too! I have perfected the recipe over the years with my families health and nutritional needs in mind, and this is the milk that my children (and whole family) have thrived on!
It is not mandatory that you have a nutmilk bag to make this (you could use a cheesecloth), but it will make your life so much easier and they are really cheap to buy. I have tried many, but my very favorite nut milk bags can be purchased here. I would definitely recommend getting one!


Soaking your nuts beforehand
Soaking your nuts and seeds before consuming them helps to remove the enzyme inhibitors, and makes them even easier to digest. This germinating process increases the life and vitality contained within the nut and literally makes it a superfood for your body, making them rich in active enzymes, quality protein, fats, and vitamins, and they contain fiber! It is life giving milk!

To soak and germinate almonds:
place almonds in a large bowl and fill with fresh clean filtered water. Let sit at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight. Rinse the almonds 2-3 times very well before using.


Raw Sweet Vanilla Almond Milk

What you need:

1/2 cup of almonds soaked for 8 hours or overnight, and rinsed several times really well

4 cups of clean fresh filtered water

3 medjool dates, pitted, or 2 Tbsp, agave nectar (or you can use 1-2 packets of stevia)

1 Tbsp. raw extra virgin coconut oil

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 Tbsp hempseed protein powder (optional) but I add it in lots of the time

pinch of sea salt


To Make:
Soak 1/2 cup almonds overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse several times. Place almonds in a blender and add 4 cups of clean filtered water. Blend for about 2 minutes, then turn blender off for a few minutes, then blend again for 2 more minutes. Using a nutmilk bag or cheesecloth (nutmilk bag highly recommended!), pour almond milk mixture into the nutmilk bag over a large bowl to strain. Squeeze out as much o the liquid as you can. Rinse blender out with a little water. Pour almond milk back into blender and add the remaining ingredients. Blend for several minutes You can strain the mixture one more time for extra smoothness if you want.

Pour into a glass jar and store in refrigerator for 4-5 days.



Benefits of some of the ingredients in the milk.

Hempseed
is a complete protein, contains over 20 trace minerals, and is high in essential fatty acids which makes it a great alternative to eating fish, which has rising mercury levels, and PCB contamination. It is considered one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. This can sufficiently address the protein needs of a vegetarian/vegan. Hempseed contains all of the essential fatty acids and essential amino acids to maintain healthy human life. This is one of natures richest sources of complete protein. You can
purchase our favorite hempseed protein powder here.

Raw organic extra virgin coconut oil (cold pressed
)
helps improve digestion, immune system, has natural anti-viral/anti-fungal properties (helping to naturally fight off fungal overgrowth, viruses and bacteria). Contains medium chain fats that improve and are healing to thyroid functions, and increases the speed of the thyroid, helping many to lose unwanted excess weight. Helps to speed the metabolism, maintain healthy hormone production, and contains the kind of saturated fats we need and want (not animal derived!) that protect and improve cardiovascular health, skin, and nervous system! I could go on and on...they are amazing for you. You can
purchase good coconut oil here for a good price

Dates
-I love to sweeten with dates. They are a whole food in their natural state, high in fiber,very high in potassium, contain b complex vitamins, help with constipation, intestinal disorders, have been known to help cure some abdominal cancers. They have so much to offer in place of sugar! For a fun treat (one of my favorites) wrap dates around raw almonds and sprinkle with a little sea salt. So good!


My sister has added a video making my milk, and I think it is so helpful, and makes the whole process less intimidating to those new to making nut milks. She does an awesome job walking you through the process. Check out the video over at her blog



Some information gathered from David Wolfes " Superfoods, the food and medicine of the future"

16 comments:

  1. mmm this actually sounds quite tasty!! Cute blog here and girlfriend you are GORGEOUS :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me!! Love the pouring picture. BTW, I commented and then realized I was signed in on your name lol! I added a "search this blog" (on the top right hand side) to your site, so that I can just find what I'm looking for! I think others would appreciate it on there too. Good thing I know your password so I can hack in to your blog lol! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a blogger friend of Heather's and she sent me here because I'm trying to find some healthy alternatives for me and my family. I'm really contimplating organic foods and am starting to do research on different things. I'm very interested in your posts...although we are not vegetarian or vegan I'm still excited to read and hear about other nutritional information and ideas!!
    New follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Morgan,
    I just ordered the nut milk bag that you suggested with your recipe. It looks like it is going to work a lot better than the cheesecloth that I use. I also ordered the hemp powder. I am very excited to try them both. Thank you:) Great post on how to make the almond milk. It is so easy and delicious. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Pasta alla Formiana tonight for dinner and my girls ate it up... whole wheat pasta and everything!!! It was super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so trying this...I am coming over from Heathers...I just love her and am so excited to get over here and check your place out. I perused through some posts...I must come back when it is not 11:30 pm and do more investigating. I was a vegetarian (vegan actually) and fell off the wagon, but just did a raw food detox and am pretty sure I am jumping back on the wagon (hubby just thinks a meal isn't a meal without meat...UGH!). OK, I am babbling...I am a new follower.
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made it yesterday afternoon and it's already all gone. What should I say? Very easy to make, great taste, nice and smooth texture. Loved it!!!!! Igor had it with his cereal this morning and said that he would never guess that it was not a "normal" milk. :) Thanks, Morgan! You've opened a completely new world for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lana! Thank so much for the ffeedback! Im so glad you guys liked it! And it is soooooo good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan, your recipes must come with a secret magic wand - I am usually such a numbskull in the kitchen, but this milk came out beautifully - I put some in two bottles and then drank the bit that was leftover - cook's perks! Are you thinking about writing a cookbook? Thank you!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anita- Thank you so much! What a compliment! I am so glad the milk turned out so good for you!YAY!!! Yes, I am thinking about a cookbook in the future...stayed tuned!!
    Thank you so much for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know you and Heather were sisters! I've been reading both of your blogs for months. Anyway, love this recipe and going to try it. Looking for places to buy some of the extra ingredients. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does the coconut oil not separate and harden in the refrigerator??

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Shana- NO, I have never had that problem. I keep mine in a jar and just give it a good shake before each use. You shouldn't have any problems with it separating much.. It will add health, and creaminess! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great, thank you! I'm waiting on my nut milk bag in the mail, should be coming today...can't wait to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your almond milk has become a staple in our house! I do not have raw coconut oil, can I use just a virgin coconut oil? I've been leaving it out but if it adds a creaminess I think my kids may do better with it. It's been a little grainy lately. Also, how often do you have to replace your nutmilk bag? And one more question! Do you have any uses for your almond pulp?

    ReplyDelete