Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wholesome Banana Bread



I love banana bread!
I came up with this to satisfy that craving for it, and know that it was actually good for me too. When you look at what is in this, bananas, unrefined sweetener, flaxseed, whole grains, and dried fruit and nuts, you can enjoy this treat and know that it is also really healthy. It took me lots of experimenting to get this perfect. And there is no added fats aside from the walnuts, and of course the good shmear of Earth Balance butter spread over the top! Its also good as a healthy afternoon/after school snack for kids! Everything in this is a real, unprocessed, whole food, and that is always the goal!
When I am in the mood for chocolate, I leave out the raisins and walnuts, and add in about a half cup of vegan semisweet chocolate chips.
That is equally good!


Wholesome Banana Bread

What You Need:

1 1/3 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, or plain whole wheat flour
(depending on the size and moisture level of the bananas)

1 cup of sucanat (natural sugar cane), or raw turbinado sugar (unrefined sugar)

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp sea salt

2 big, or 3 medium over ripe smashed bananas (smoosh em' up good!)

1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water, and set aside to thicken for a few min.

tsp good quality vanilla extract

1/4 cup raisins

1/4 cup chopped walnut halves

To Make:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix 1 1/3 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry. it the mixture seems like it needs a little extra flour, then add a little more (up to 1/2 cup more if needed). It just depends on how huge the bananas are. And, I like my banana bread less mushy, and a little dryer, so go with what your own preference is.

Pour into a large bread pan that is lightly oiled. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

7 comments:

  1. Banana Bread is absolutely my most favorite thing in the world!! I'm happy to finally have a healthier way to make it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my new banana bread recipe!! It looks absolutely wonderful-I LOVE IT:) Thanks Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So delicious and moist. Great recipe! Thank you. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Debbie! I love to hear the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made your banana bread last night and it was SOOOO yummy! Do you have a similar type of recipe for pumpkin bread? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina- so glad you liked it! I am working on a pumpkin bread and will be posting it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made this last night and it was absolutely fantastic! Forgot to add the choc chips, so I just sprinkled some on top halfway through baking. Even picky eater omni husband loved it, so that's a testimonial and a half :)

    ReplyDelete