Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Beefy Bourguignon

If you love mushrooms, you will love this!
This is a recipe that I got from my most recent cooking demo I took at Natvie Foods Cafe from Tanya Petrovna. We served this over a bed of spinach, but you could also put it over boiled new potatoes, or even over noodles if you wanted.

Beefy Bourguignon

What You Need:

1/3 cup olive oil

1 large carrot

1 yellow onion

1 pkg. frozen boiling onions, (or 1 pkg. pearl onions, peeled, found in fresh produce section usually in a bag)

1 pound of mixed mushrooms of choice (I used cremini and shitake)

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp pepper

3 pounds seitan, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I made my own, recipe below,but you can buy it at health food stores in place of making it, I know Whole Foods has it in the tofu section)

2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour

1 cup dry red wine (if you don't want to use wine, substitute 1 cup of water and one extra vegetable bouillon cube)

4 cups water

2 crumbled vegan vegetable bouillon cubes (rapunzel brand is good)

1 Tbsp. tomato paste

1/2 tsp dried thyme

1 bay leaf

1 cup chopped flat Leaf parsley for garnish

To Make:

In a large soup pot, heat olive oil, and add the carrot, onion, boiling onions, mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper, and saute lightly browned.

Add the seitan pieces and saute about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.Add flour, and stir well to coat everything and lightly brown, (2-3 min).

Add wine (or extra water/bouillon mixture). Add the rest of the 3 cups of water. Crumble and add the bouillon, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf.

Let simmer partially covered for about 1 hour. Serve over a bed of baby spinach, or boiled new potatoes, and garnish with parsley.





Seitan Loaf
Adapted from Everyday Dish TV
What You Need:
1 gallon water
2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 Tbsp onion powder, or onion flakes
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
Large cheesecloth
4 pieces string to tie seitan loaf
To Make:
In a large pot bring 1 gallon of water to a low boil. In a large bowl, mix the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, thyme, onion powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the vegetable broth, olive oil and soy sauce. Combine the wet to the dry ingredients, and mix briefly to incorporate. Do not need dough. Wrap the loaf in cheesecloth somewhat tightly, and using kitchen string, tie both ends, and tie two around the middle. Simmer on low, covered, for 1 hour. After adding some of this to the soup, you can thinly slice it and put in sandwiches.





12 comments:

  1. I would make this in an instance, but in the U.K we struggle to purchase vital wheat gluten. Maybe oneday :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome, and amazing how much it looks like meat!
    Another great recipe! Keep em coming! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the homemade seitan freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome recipe. I have made this several times and it is pretty much fail proof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am talking about the seitan that I have made several times. I haven't made the Beefy Bourguignon yet, but it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia-
    I have never had to freeze it (family of 5, so we usually eat it all), but I would imagine it would freeze great!
    Mom-
    You are the one who sent me the recipe for the seitan loaf, so of course, I have you to thank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi! just found my way to your blog via The Kind Life forums. :) i am going to have to check out all your recipes! the pics look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds incredible! I've never tried seitan (newly vegan), but I'm willing to give it a go. Your blog has incredible recipe's! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you seen Julie/Julia? I think of that movie every time is see this post of Beef Borguignon!

    I wonder what this tastes like?? Cuz there's so much hoopla of Julia Child's Beef Borguignon...so this must be awesome... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen it, and I love it! I dont know what Julia CHilds Bouruignon tastes like, but I can tell you that this one is good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking for vital wheat gluten...is gluten flour the same?
    Would love to try your recipes. Thanks for a great site!

    ReplyDelete