Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Brown Rice Bowl with Hot and Sour Rhubarb sauce


With rhubarb in season right now, I knew I had to make something with it.
Many of you have probably never experienced rhubarb outside of rhubarb pie, but I wanted to go the opposite direction with something savory. I stumbled upon this recipe that I got from Tanya Petrovna at Native Foods Cafe. It was awesome! Almost like a sweet and sour type sauce. It was unexpectedly delicious! This was a great way to enjoy this super sour veggie!




Brown Rice Bowl with Hot and Sour Rhubarb Sauce


What you Need:

precooked Brown Rice

Tofu, cubed and sauteed in a pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper

Spinach

Cabbage, shredded

toasted cashews or pine nuts

cilantro

green onions thinly sliced

squeeze of lime




Hot and Sour Rhubarb Sauce:

1 lb. of rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

2 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped in 1/4 inch pieces

1/2 tsp red chili flakes

3 cloves of garlic

2 Tbsp of sweetener of choice

3 Tbsp soy sauce


Blend all ingredients in a blender until well blended and smooth. Then place in a pot, and simmer on low for about 2 minutes.




To Assemble:

On a plate place some brown rice, spinach cabbage, and tofu. Add some Hot and Sour Rhubarb sauce on top, and then garnish with cashews, cilantro, green onions, and a squeeze of lime.


4 comments:

  1. A very healthy brown rice and rhubarb dish.Beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish looks so yummy and nutritous, I guess I will have to wait a few months for rhubarb here in CT. I wish I could find classes like this in my area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that salad looks amazing. The rhubarb sauce would be very good. I will have to see if I can find any rhubarb around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan,
    I've seen non-veggie dishes with a rhubarb sauce namely mackerel fish because of its oil, but never a vegetarian dish, sorry a vegan dish. I am intrigued by this combination. Now I have to wait for some rhubarb to appear here. I'm still waiting...

    ReplyDelete