Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Tempeh "Bacon"



We have been getting tons of leeks and potatoes in our CSA produce box lately, and I figured what better way to use them than in a soup.
The result was velvety and rich, and turned out exceptionally good.
Total comfort food!
I topped it with a little tempeh"fakin' bacon" and served it with a wedge of whole grain artisan bread for dunking and a crisp spinach salad. I think this may be my new favorite soup!

Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Tempeh "Bacon"
What You Need:
2 regular sized Leeks
2 bay leaves
25 black peppercorns
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp Mirin (cooking wine)
6 1/2 cups of water
4 squares Rapunzel Vegan Vegetable Bouillon with sea salt and herbs
or any vegetable stock/broth with work fine.
5 small or 3 large russet potatoes (a little over a pound)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 package of Litelife tempeh "fakin bacon"
1 recipe cashew cream (recipe below)
Cheesecloth
Cashew Cream:
Soak 1/2 cup of cashews in water for about 4 hours. Rinse the nuts well, and then place in a blender with about 1 cup of water. Blend until very smooth and creamy.


To Make Soup:
Cut the top green section from the leeks. Save and set aside 2 large leaves.
Fold your cheesecloth several times (or use a small nut milk bag that is only used for cooking, not making nut milks) and place the folded leek leaves, bay leaves, dried thyme, and peppercorns. Close up the bag and tie off. Set aside.
Next, cut the white part of the leeks down the center and rinse thoroughly under cold water to clean well. Then slice the leeks crosswise into thin strips.
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp Earth balance butter and 1 Tbsp Olive Oil. Add the leeks with a pinch of salt and saute about 5 minutes until softened.
Add the water, vegetable bouillon cubes, potatoes, bundle of herbs, Mirin, and salt, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to a low simmer, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and mushy.
While the soup is simmer, prepare your Tempeh Bacon bits by heating 1 Tbsp Earth Balance butter and 1 Tbsp Olive Oil in a saute pan. Cut the tempeh bacon strips into small pieces. Saute until lightly golden, then place on a plate and set aside for topping the soup.
When soup is finished cooking, remove the herbs. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Or, you can blend the soup in batches in your blender until smooth.
Add the cashew cream to the soup and stir to blend well, creating a creamy texture to the soup.
Taste and season with any additional salt if it is needed.

To Serve:
Ladle soup into bowls, and top with the tempeh bacon bits. Serve with crusty whole grain bread, and a simple spinach salad with your favorite dressing.

For the health benefits of Tempeh, see this post

6 comments:

  1. I can't WAIT to make this for Ryan! I have most of these ingredients around.

    PS... I'll let you know how my baked oatmeal goes! We are making it for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of adding the tempeh 'bacon' bits. I made some cauliflower soup earlier, and added crunch would have been a lovely addition. I'll keep it inmind for another soup. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great looking soup. I will make it for your Dad and see what he says. He is the fine soup critic-of course I am the fine soup maker:) Thanks for the new recipe. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks so delicious!! It's nice to find other fellow Veggie lovers blogging away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY. I love soups. Especially creamy, healthy soups. Heather pointed me towards your blog because I am currently a dairy-free pescetarian as the cow stuff was irritating my breastfed baby's tummy. Constantly looking for new vegan recipes to make my meat and cheese loving husband and stepson happy.

    Looking forward to trying many of your recipes. I just made vegan mac'n'cheeze the other day, which I blogged about here, if you are interested:

    http://lucilleinthesky.blogspot.com/2010/04/macncheeze.html

    And I'm your newest blog follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've added you to my reader so I can come back, so many great recipes in your archives!

    ReplyDelete