Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spinach with Soba Noodles and Spicy Ponzu Sauce



My brother's girlfriend is from Japan, and shared this lovely, authentic Japanese sauce with us. It is so versatile. You could use it in a stir fry, on a salad, over noodles, over steamed vegetables, over some brown rice, etc. I chose to serve it with soba (buckwheat) noodles. I love them, and they only take about 8 minutes to cook. Of course I did what I always do, and threw a bunch of spinach at the bottom of the bowl. This is my trick to getting a ton of raw spinach into my diet. Whenever I make pastas, or noodles, or rice dishes, I start out my bowl with a huge handful of spinach and then start adding all the toppings. Soba noodles are great served warm or cold, so this makes great leftovers!

Spinach with Soba Noodles and Spicy Ponzu Sauce

What You Need:

1 Package of Soba (buckwheat) noodles

Spinach

Toasted Sesame seeds

2 green onions, with all of the white part, and part of the green

1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp of Ponzu Sauce, Not all are vegan so check out the ingredients. I use the one made by Eden Foods that is vegan

1 tsp. Toasted sesame oil

2 Tbsp of sweetener of choice

2 tsp. chili powder

To Make:

Cook Soba noodles according o package directions. When they are finished cooking rinse under cold water.

While the noodles are cooking prepare the Ponzu sauce by combining the Ponzu sauce, sweetener, chili powder, sesame oil, and green onions. Whisk well.

To Assemble:

Place some raw spinach at the bottom of your bowl. Then top with some Soba noodles. Pour some of the spicy Ponzu Sauce over the top, and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and a few extra green onions.

To store as leftovers, mix the remaining sauce with the soba noodles and place in the refrigerator. Enjoy the leftovers hot or cold.

6 comments:

  1. Another healthy recipe with mouth-watering pic.Ponzu sauce is new to me.Thanks for sharing a nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! I absolutely love the Ponzu spicy sauce. You are right, it is the most versatile sauce you can make. It is so delicious. I have never tried buckwheat noodles, so I am going to give them a try. Thanks for another wonderful recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am definitely going to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me!!!! Looks so delish! Especially with the buckwheat noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks AMAZING! Thank you for introducing my to ponzu sauce! I love soba noodles too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of YOUR soba noodles. Trying this one next :)

    ReplyDelete