Sunday, May 2, 2010

Basil Pesto and Veggie Wraps with Sweet Potato Fries

A little while ago my family was eating at a favorite restaurant and we met a very cool couple there, who, after some talking, requested that I make my favorite sweet potato fries and post it on the blog for them.

So here ya go!

I paired it with a fresh crunchy wrap, which is pretty much one of my favorite meals. I love wraps! The fresh basil pesto made this extra yummy, and took seconds to make, literally!




Basil Pesto Wraps

What you Need:
Whole grain tortillas
Spinach, or romaine lettuce
Sliced red bell peppers
sliced cucumbers
Homemade Basil Pesto (recipe follows)
pinch of salt and pepper


Basil Pesto:
2 small cloves of garlic
2 cups (2 huge handfuls) fresh basil
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp sea salt
pinch of black pepper
1 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

In a food processor, pulse all ingredients except the oil until mixed well. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until consistency desired for pesto (about 1/4 cup).


To Make the Wraps:
Lightly warm the tortilla. Place some basil pesto into the tortilla, and layer the rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle with a tiny bit o salt and pepper. Roll up and serve with a side of sweet potato fries!



Sweet Potato Fries
To make:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Scrub and cut 2 sweet potatoes into wedge shapes. Place in a bowl with about 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and toss to coat. Lay evenly on a heavy baking sheet, and then sprinkle with about 1 tsp dried rosemary, 1 tsp. dried oregano, a few pinches of sea salt, and cracked black pepper. Bake for about 35 minutes, until the fries are soft and lightly golden. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.

8 comments:

  1. Looks SOOOOOO yummy!! I love Basil Pesto so I love recipe's that have that in it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basil pesto a very yummy spread for the wrap.Sweet potato fries look very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your basil wrap and sweet potato fries look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing and I can't wait to try them.

    We use tortillas a couple times a day in our home and this will be a great addition. :-)

    Not sure if you ever tried La Tortilla Factory Low Carb/High Fiber Tortillas. They are only 80cals per tortilla and taste great!

    They are a great size for wraps although we use the wraps for all of my meals too – breakfast (egg burritos), lunch (all types of wraps such as fruit, veggie..etc) and dinner (pizzas) although they can be also used for snacks (you just have to get creative).

    Thanks for great post and forward to reading more! bodyhacker.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY!!!! This is my kind of food. I love the sweet potato fries. What a wonderful combination of flavors. I can't wait to make this and use fresh basil. Great looking pictures too. I LOVE IT:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. Impressive - I love basil pesto, as my obsession with fresh Basil itself borders on disturbing.

    And you cant go wrong with sweet potato fries. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, that looks so good! I love sweet potato fries! and that wrap looks so nice and refreshing! Perfect for springtime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I am a huge pesto fan. I've always preferred it to tomato sauce on pasta. I haven't tried making it yet - sounds easy and delicious. I've been thinking about picking up a basil plant, but my frequent out of town trips make horticulture not a good match for me. This looks incredible - thanks for posting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!! Yum. Yum. This wrap looks like the perfect lunch for me. I love your little house of veggies!

    ReplyDelete