Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Black Bean Tacos with Corn and Avocado Salsa


In the spirit of Cinco de Mayo, I thought I would make some healthy tacos.
I served them with warmed corn tortillas that I picked up at Trader Joe's this week. These tacos were so fresh and delicious! You could also just make the Corn and Avocado Salsa and use it as dip with chips. Or pile a bunch on top of a burrito. Any way you have it, its good stuff!


Black Bean Tacos with Corn and Avocado Salsa
What You Need:
Soft Corn Tortillas
2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Juice of 1 lime
crack of black pepper to taste
avocado and corn salsa (recipe follows)
To Make:
Heat black beans in a medium saucepan on low with cumin, sea salt, garlic power and pepper. Warm up a corn tortilla. Add a little of the black bean mixture, and top with lots of the fresh corn and avocado Salsa. You can add a few drops of hot sauce to this if you want.
Or you can do what I do and squeeze some Aniie's organic ketchup on top. Strange, I know,. Its a habit from my childhood that has stuck! I love ketchup on tacos! Wasn't anyone else served ketchup on their tacos? Or was it just me???
Corn and Avocado Salsa

What You Need:

3 cups frozen (thawed) corn

1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped

1/2 cup red onion, chopped

1 large avocado, chopped

Juice of 1 lime

1/2 cup (a few handfuls) of fresh cilantro

1/2 tsp salt

Fresh ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, taste and check seasonings to see if any additional salt and pepper is needed.

A little side note: Did you know that corn tortillas are a whole grain/complex carbohydrate? Just make sure when you are buying them that they have good, clean ingredients. If you live by a Trader Joe's, they have a really good one with only 3 ingredients (corn, water, lime) and they are made from fresh ground corn, not dry cornmeal. They are awesome!

24 comments:

  1. Morgan,
    These look delicious! Perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! These tacos sounds amazingly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I think that we will be trying this at my house. We had Mexican in honor of Cinco de Mayo, but it wasn't anything near this good. I can't wait until my garden is ready and I can make most of these recipes from it. I am ready for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy cow that look amazing!! oh man! can't wait to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really great, and is perfect timing -- it's avocado season here, and corn season as well. I will definitely be making these. By the way, the wooden bowl is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm. I am so making these tonight.

    (P.S. I've never tried ketchup on tacos, but I'm going to try that now!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything about this recipe sounds delicious! Definitely lovin' all of the colors going on. I'm glad white corn and avocadoes are back in season, because that means I can make this in the very near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious Morgan! Can we make this when we come to visit next week??? It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and appealing to the eyes. A salsa that certainly appeals to me and its healthy too - unlike my food!

    I've come across a number of bloggers recently mentioning Cinco de Mayo. As someone living in the U.K, I was not aware of its significance for Mexicans, as we do not have a large Mexican community in the U.K. Of course like any good blogger, I googled it and am now in the know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to make these but Nick cannot stand the taste of cilantro. Any good substitutes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for all of the comments. These really were so good (if I do say so myself!).

    APRIL- Try subbing in parsley for the cilantro if you want. It is such a versatile herb. Or just leave it out completely, and serve cilantro on the side so that those eating can just add a few sprigs to their taco.

    JENI- I am positive that your Cinco de Mayo meal was delicious! You are such a good cook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made these tonight and we loved them. Husband said they had real good flavor. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks decadent and delicious! Love the use of cumin with black beans. Great blog, great pics, very cool! Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  15. These were so yummy Morgan! Thanks for making dinner for my family and I am so glad you posted the recipe because they were seriously delicious!! Thanks again!!! I will try to get you your tupperware next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These were great, everyone, even my very picky 7 year old, ate them. Served them with Trader Joe's Veg Fried Rice and fresh strawberries. Big Hit! Thanks Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm making this tomorrow night for dinner! Wish me luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These tacos are so good! My kids even ate the corn avocado salad on them. The Trader Joes tortillas are definitely worth it! Thanks for this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made these tonight, and they were DELICIOUS! So simple too - great on a hot night when you don't want to use the stove much!

    I found your blog through The Kind Life site, and I'm so happy I did! Your recipes all look delicious. I made coconut whipped cream & was happy that you had a salad dressing that called for the leftover coconut milk - I made it, and it's super yummy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adeline- Awesome! So glad you like dit all. I whip up these tacos all the time! THey really are so simple and yummy! Thanks so much for your feedback!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. And thanks to everyone else for all of your feedback! I love to hear how you are liking the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete