Monday, May 10, 2010

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies


These are rich, decadent, and dare I say, made from 100% whole grains! But dish em' out to those you love, and they will most definitely be fooled! I find that these work best if you use white whole wheat flour, which is just the same as regular whole wheat flour, only regular whole wheat is made from dark red wheat, and is slightly more bitter, while white whole wheat is made from albino wheat, which is slightly more mild and sweet in flavor. It tastes more like white flour would, but has all of the health benefits of wheat flour, like fiber and extra nutrients! Give it a try, it worked like a gem for these! I found the over sized vegan mint chocolate chips at Trader Joes, but if you can't find those, you could definitely just fold some regular sized mint chocolate chips into the batter. These were not a crunchy cookie at all, just perfect, slightly gooey, and super delicious!


Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
inspired by a recipe found here

What You Need:
3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened coca powder
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water combined well
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Earth Balance butter (vegan butter)
1 tsp. vanilla
extra large vegan mint chocolate chips (can be found at Trader Joe's, they are large discs), or regular sized vegan chocolate chips if those can't be found. About 1/2 cup or so folded into the batter.

To Make:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place a sheet of parchment paper or a silpat on a heavy cookie sheet.
In a large bowl, or a Kitchenaid stand mixer, combine all of the dry ingredients. In a very small bowl mix the cornstarch with water and vanilla. Add the cornstarch mixture and Earth Balance butter to the dry ingredients and mix well. Place cookie dough on cookie sheet using a small cookie scooper (or about 1 Tbsp dough per cookie). Bake for 10 minutes, then open the oven and place 1 large chocolate chip in the center of each cookie, pressing down very gently. Place cookies back in the oven for an additional 2 minutes to finish cooking. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then remove from the cookie sheet to finish cooling.

Side Note:
*if using small chocolate chips, fold them into the cookie dough, and just bake the cookies for 12 minutes total*

Enjoy these with a cold glass of almond milk! YUM!

17 comments:

  1. I want to eat these NOW. They look soooo yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!!! Sooooo yummy!!! I really need to try these out! Your last cookies you posted did not disappoint, so I can't wait to try these ones. Mint is a favorite flavor of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by to visit me :)
    These cookies look awesome! I'm intrigued by these XL vegan mint choc chips, I'm going to look for them at Whole Foods next time I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh these look so good!!!! I have been following your blog and made your muhammara dip the other day and it was also SO good! I posted your dip and blog address on my blog also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look amazing. I am glad I just bought some of the mint choc chips so I can make them:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This look amazing! I am obsessed with the mint chocolate discs from TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You combined two of my favorite ingredients. Chocolate and mint. Will have to try these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. just made these, really yummy!! Came out a little flat though- I used whole wheat pastry flour, do you think that is why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cynthia-
    Hmmm...I used white whole wheat flour, and mine didn't flatten out too much. I do think that different flours have slightly different effects on the result. Pastry flour is ground extra fine, so the texture is a little different. So that could have been the reason. Not positive though, as I have never attempted these with pastry flour. I did not flatten mine at all prior to baking, I just used a small ice cream/cookie scoop (about 1 Tbsp. of dough) and plopped them on the baking sheet in perfect little balls to cook. Then when I took them out after 10 minutes, I gently pressed the large chocolate chip on top to flatten it just a little, but not much. Did you use the large chocolate chip on top, or small ones throughout? If you try them again using the pastry flour, try cutting back on the butter by 1 tbsp. or adding 1-2 tbsp. of extra flour. That might help. Thank you for all of the feedback you give me on the things you make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I used the large chips from Trader Joe's and a small scoop, my batter was crumbly, but when pressed together formed a ball and I did not flatten. I used a hand mixer to mix. I had this problem once with the oatmeal cookies in The kind Diet. First time that I made them they were flat, second time, perfect. Go figure. I will just have to try them again! Gonna try the black bean tacos tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CYnthia-
    Baking is a funny thing...
    Even with my own recipes, I can make them a bunch of times and sometimes they just don't turn out as good. Baking is definitely more fussy than cooking is. I have received several emails from readers who have made these with great results, so I would maybe try them with the white whole wheat flour next time and see if that helps. I know that pastry flour can effect the texture a little. You will love the tacos and they are pretty much fool proof! ANd very fresh. Let me know how you like them!
    Good Luck and Happy baking/cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yum! I want to make these for my husband for father's day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tried the cookies again with white whole wheat flour and they were perfect this time, I doubled the recipe, cut back on the sugar and the butter just a little. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to make these! I'm a little confused by the last two lines on the ingredient list, though:
    "1 tsp. vanilla
    or regular sized chocolate chips if those can't be found."
    Do you mean in place of the cocoa?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the update! And thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Glad you are liking the recipe!

    ReplyDelete