Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Authentic Japanese Gyoza (Potstickers)


Alright, these were just plain delicious!
You can thank my cute brother and his beautiful girlfriend. She is from Japan (born and raised) and she and my brother are both amazing cooks! I have learned so many really cool authentic Japanese recipes from them. My brother is there (in Japan) visiting her right now, and they just made a video teaching my family and I how to make Gyoza, or what we call potstickers. They are traditionally made with pork, but she knows that I am a vegetarian, and she kindly created a veggie version for me to try. I made the Gyoza wrappers from scratch, and will give directions on how to do that, but you can definitely use the kind that are already ready to use that you can buy at your Asian Markets. They would work just fine. I have to say though, when something is made from scratch and made with a little love, it tastes so much better! This recipe is as authentic as it gets! Oh, and don't be intimidated by the odd ingredients, they can all be found at your Assn markets as well. Get on an apron, get brave, and make something new and challenging! Cooking is so fun!

Authentic Japanese Gyoza (potstickers)
Step by step instructions


Step One: Making the Gyoza wrapper dough
Start by dumping about 2 cups of All purpose flour in a large bowl. You don't have to measure this, just eyeball it. Next, stirring with chopsticks, add hot water a little at a time until a doughy ball forms. It should be a little sticky. Using your hands and a little additional flour, knead the dough a little until it is smooth and elastic. Wrap in saran wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes.





Step 2: Making the vegetable filling
You will need:
2 cups cabbage
2 cup nira (garlic chives found at Asian Market)
1 cup Gobo (burdock root, also found at Asian Market), peeled
1 cup shitake mushrooms
1 cup oyster mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
Tbsp Potato starch
1/2 tsp salt
pinch pepper
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sake wine
1 Tbsp sesame oil

Finely chop the cabbage, nira, gobo, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger. Chop these as fine as you can, the smaller the pieces the better (My mom did hers in a food prcessor and it worked great!). Next add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to incorporate everything. Set aside while you prepare the wrappers.

Step 3: Making the Gyoza Wrappers
(Use a large biscuit cutter to cut out perfect rounds)

Working on a very well floured surface, roll out a little dough a little at a time until it is pretty thin (1/4 inch or so). Using a large biscuit cutter, cut out rounds. Continue the process until rounds are all cut out. Generously cover the tops with flour so that they do not stick.



Step 4: Assembling and cooking the Gyoza:
Holding a wrapper in your hand, dip your fingers in some cold water and wet the edges of the wrapper a little. This is going to act as an adhesive when you close it. Place a small amount of the filling onto the center of the wrapper.
Fold the wrapper in half and gently seal the edges leaving no holes or openings.
You can stop here and cook them just like this, or you can give them a fancy pleated edge like this one...
While you are working on making the gyoza, place them on a parchment lined and floured baking sheet. Make sure that there is a good amount of flour on the parchment paper for extra assurance that the gyoza will not stick to it.
Step 5: Cooking the Gyoza
Now you are ready to cook these. You will need a heavy skillet, 2 Tbsp. Olive oil or Sesame oil, a few Tbsp. of water, and a lid for your pan. Over medium high heat, heat the oil. Place your Gyoza in the pan with the pleated edge toward the ceiling. Cook for several minutes until they start to get crispy on the bottom. Now you are going to finish cooking them by steaming them. Put a few Tbsp. of water in the pan, cover with a lid, and finish cooking for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from pan, and serve with Chili dipping sauce (recipe below).
Step 6: Chili Dipping Sauce:
In a small dish, mix 6 Tbsp. soy sauce or Tamari, 3 Tbsp. Rice vinegar, and Japanese Chili Oil to taste to add as much spice as you like. I love a lot of spice, but if you do not you could even leave this out entirely.
Enjoy these amazing Potstickers with a side of brown rice, or miso soup .

20 comments:

  1. Wow Morgan these stuffed Gyoza look very crispy and delicious.Nice step by step presentation.Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gyoza look amazing! I love Japanese food. And I completely agree: authentic, from-scratch, made-with-love food always tastes better than their pre-packaged counterparts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to asian cooking. How do I make the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious and I am SO hungry at the moment I want them NOW. They look like chinese dumplings that we used to eat in China, gorgeous. Loved the 'how to' photos as well, particularly the perfectly round dough cut-outs. Brilliant!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This looks like a lot of work. But also like it's totally worth it. Thank you for the step by step explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive. I have never eaten a 'Potsticker'. I imagine them sticking to the sides of my pot and having to rip them off to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great pictures! I love how you documented each step. My hat is off to you for making this recipe. It just looked Japanese to me-hehe. No really, it sounds really intimidating. You did a great job. How did they taste?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE potstickers!!! :) These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the kind comments! Yes, these were a little work, but I love to cook and I actually like the process of making something like this. Its so fun and rewarding at the end. :)

    Jeni- They tasted amazing! I could eat them everyday, soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your potstickers look delicious and they're SO perfect. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmygoodness, I want these now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Gyoza and the presentation look amazing. Your step by step pictures were perfect. I have made them twice now and absolutely love them. Filled with all the wonderful veggies-they are healthy as well as delicious. They are totally worth all the energy that is put into them. Great job on your Gyoza:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit that i am not very experimental when it comes to Japanese cuisine, but these - Oh my goodness. I just want to try them. Your Gyoza aka potstickers are just making my mouth water. I want one - NOW! Pretty please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy to have found your blog! Everything looks incredibly yummy! Looking forward to trying some of these recipes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm for sure going to give these a try! I had them at Mom's and holy moly.... best flavor EVER. I think it's worth the work. Ryan LOVES pot stickers, so I'm excited to try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're amazing. From scratch and everything! I buy mine from Trader Joe's, on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi- I just saw that you've been featured on the Kind Life! Very cool! Congrats!

    I've never had pot stickers- shocking- I know!

    I think that these will be my first... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Morgan, that is so awesome your recipe was featured on 'The Kind Life'-Alicia Silverstone's Blog. I loved looking at her blog too. Your recipes & presentation are all so amazing. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible gyoza, they look simply flawless! I've never gone so far as to make my own gyoza skins, but it looks like it was worth the effort here. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look wonderful! I can't wait to try them! My kids are sure to love them too, especially since they come with a dipping sauce!

    ReplyDelete