Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Cheesy" Chipotle Corn Chowder


When I was creating this recipe today, I was trying to mimic the old cheesy soups I used to love like broccoli cheese, and cheesy Potato, etc. It turned out so delicious, and surprisingly quite "cheesy" tasting. The chipotle peppers are definitely the special ingredient here, and add such a great flavor to the soup. A very small amount of chipotle in adobo goes a very long way! So only add one in. And, if you like your soup spicy, keep the seeds, if you don't like a lot of spice, remove the seeds from the pepper. This was a perfect way to use a bunch of the fresh corn we had around!



"Cheesy" Chipotle Corn Chowder



What You Need:
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 celery diced
1 yellow onion diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
5 ears of corn, cut fresh from the cob, or about 4-5 cups frozen thawed corn
2 32-ounce boxed of vegetable stock (you will only use 1 1/2 boxes)
3/4 lb. of small baby yellow potatoes, or a few larger potatoes, cubed
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeds removed and chopped (these come in a can, and are found near other Mexican food Ingredients in the specialty food isles.)
3 vegetable bouillon (I like Rapunzel brand found at health food stores)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. chili pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 batch of cashew "cheese" sauce (recipe follows)
fresh dill, chopped tomatoes, and a few corn chips for garnish


Cashew "cheese" sauce
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours or more
about 1 cup water
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp Dijon or regular mustard
4-5 sun dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Butter
pinch salt and pepper

In a blender add the soaked cashews and about 1 cup of water. Blend cashews until smooth. You can add a little extra water if you need to to help the cashews blend well. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend to mix very well. You cheese should should be fairly thick Set aside.


To Make Soup:
Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and corn and saute for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables become slightly tender.
Add 1 32-ounce box of stock, plus 1/2 of the second 32-ounce box of vegetable stock. You don't have to measure this exactly, just estimate. Add diced potatoes, bay leaf, and all other seasonings except for the "cheese" sauce. Bring to a boil, the cover and simmer for about 34 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the bay leaves from the soup, and stir in your cashew "cheese". Cook an additional 5 minutes to let the sauce thicken a little. Taste, and add any additional salt and pepper if needed.

To Serve, Ladle soup into bowls, and top with chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of fresh dill. You can also crush a couple corn ships on top to add to the "corn" flavor too.

19 comments:

  1. Morgan, the "Cheesy" Chipotle Corn Chowder looks amazing. I am really excited to make it. I like how you used cashews to make the cheese sauce. It makes it so healthy.
    Thank you for posting another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one, Morgan! I was planning on whipping up a batch of my Potato, Leek, and Corn Chowder later this week, but I'll switch it up and try your chowder instead. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan cheesy chipotle corn chowder looks very delicious.Will try it soon and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful. Delicious comfort in a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chipotle flavor! Anything cheesy is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic!! I have been meaning to try the cashew cheese sauce..have the cashews set aside for it. Recently cut out dairy, and my husbands a cheese addict, so I will have to try and sneak this one by him! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of good things -- Cheese/Chipotle/Corn/Chowder -- all in one bowl. Looks like some effort on the Cashew Cheese Sauce, but I will keep this recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed! That looks delish :) I haven't tried the whole cashew cream thing, but I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit, I rarely eat corn. I'd probably eat a whole pot of this chowder though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious! yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds yummy....can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made this today for my family~ we used up some of our fresh picked/then frozen corn from last summer (to make room for this summer's in the freezer)...

    It was Fabulous!!! *YUMMY*

    Thanks for all of the awesome vegan recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THis will be for dinner tonight! I have everything I need already in the house! Love that! I just need to come up with an alternative to the cashew cheese since my husband is allergic to nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this tonight for the family .. me being the only one vegan. OMG thank you so much for this.. it was to die for soo yummy and tasty... and everyone had seconds. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morgan, I originally saw this on the kind life this year, and it has been a fav ever since - even by my meat-loving family. They can't believe it's vegan! Just made it again but was trying to grocery shop by memory and accidentally picked up almonds instead of cashews....still worked wonderfully. :) The only change I make is 4 chipotle peppers instead of 1 - and I use half a can of adobe sauce. I've also tried it with sweet potato instead of white potato with wondrous results. In short - thanks for an amazing soup!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made this for dinner. It's fantastic! My husband really liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you re-posted this for me today...chipolte? Spicy foods, inducing labor? ;-)

    Looks so yummy! If only you could live close by and I could just have a bowl of yours since I am not as motivated to cook lately. Happy Meat Free Monday, Love yah xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Rachel, Durell, Jane, Shelly...I'm so gald all of you loved the soup! Thank you so much for commenting and giving me feedback!

    @laury...I would SO let you crash my place and steal leftovers anytime if you were closer! haha. <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. oooh this soup looks amazing I am so excited for corn to be in season so I can make this!

    ReplyDelete