Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lemon and Blueberry Muffins


I came up with this recipe the other day using some amazing fresh blueberries from our local farmers here. They were delicious, and the muffins are now a favorite of my husband! They turned out very light and fluffy and perfect!


And really, who doesn't love warm blueberry muffins!




Lemon and Blueberry Muffins
Makes about 8 muffins


What You Need:
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar (you can purchase at Trader Joe's)
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 regular container (about 1 cup) of fresh blueberries
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk mixed with the juice of 1 lemon (this will create homemade vegan buttermilk)
zest of 1 lemon
sugar for dusting the tops


To Make:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 8 regular sized muffin cups. In a bowl or stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar and cream until pale in color. Add the applesauce, extracts and milk.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Mix well, and slowly add to the wet ingredients. Fold in the blueberries gently so they don't break open.

Fill the muffin cups, and sprinkle the top of each muffin with a little extra sugar. Bake muffins for about 20-25 minutes, until the tops are barely golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

8 comments:

  1. Incredible muffins! I can taste them with my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Morgan,
    Muffins look very delicious.

    I am hosting an event on wholefoods with the present theme as whole grains:Barley.If you are interested in participating please let me know.Would love to see your healthy recipes with barley.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious--especially the crumbly bits on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberry muffins and these look delicious and healthy. It is nice to have healthy versions of the comfort foods. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fantastic that you already have access to fresh blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm fresh blueberry muffins. They look like yummy gems topped with sweet sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling these are MUCH healthier than the ones I recently posted on my blog! I need to try these out! They look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lemon blueberry muffins look great, as do the crispy tofu above. I make a similar recipe, a lemon blueberry cake, it's to die for. It's usually eaten in one sit which is why I bring to parties only, otherwise I would eat it all. :)

    ReplyDelete