Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rainbow Salad with Crispy Tofu and Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette

I love to throw together what I call "rainbow salads". I call them that for my kids, and try to throw in lots of different colors. Eating a variety of colors on your plate is a really good way to get lots of nutrition out of the meal. Colorful food is good food! This crispy marinated tofu is so amazing! Tofu can sometimes get a bad rap on flavor and texture, but its not tofu's fault. It just needs to be made and prepared with a little love. It is pretty much an empty canvas, and you can infuse it with all kinds of flavors. This vinaigrette turned out so vibrant and fresh and really complimented the salad well.



Rainbow Salad with Crispy Tofu and Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette


For the Tofu:
2 pkg. extra firm tofu, cut into small bite size triangle pieces
1/2 cup Tamari soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger

Drain tofu, and gently press in a clean towel to remove some water. Cut your tofu into smaller bite size triangular pieces.
Mix the soy sauce, water, garlic, and ginger in a dish, and place tofu in to marinade for a few hours.

In a large saute pan, heat a few Tbsp. of oil over medium high heat, and saute the tofu until golden and crispy on the outside.



For the Salad:
Use whatever vegetable you have and love, try to include lots of colors, I used
purple cabbage
bean sprouts
cucumbers
Bell Peppers
carrots
Romaine lettuce
Crispy Marinated Tofu
Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (recipe below)






Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 small clove garlic
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh cilantro (about 1 small bundle)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 Tbsp agave nectar

Blend all ingredients in a blender. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.


Fill your salad plate with all of your veggies. Top with crispy tofu, and some vinaigrette. Serve with a side of brown rice.







8 comments:

  1. YUM! nothing better than a plate full of colour!
    For some reason Im not a huge fan of tofu, i think it may be that i dont know how to properly cook it, because this crispy tofu looks SO good!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very good. The only way I have liked tofu so far is fried. I can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your food always looks so fresh and colourful. Although I just ate, I'm hungry again. And thank you for your email! I'm going to research those ezekiel wraps and find a way to make a homemade version, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so great, the dressing especially! I'm so glad I have most of these ingredients :) That dressing and tofu are on the list for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad looks awesome. I am going to try making the tofu crispy-it looks very delicious. The salad dressing looks really good too. Thank you for another wonderful idea to add to my healthy living book. Love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks mo thuggity! I'm actually considering going more raw, and cutting out the meat. Mom has convinced me, and you are both so motivating to me! I can't wait to start trying out more of your recipes! LOVE YA.

    This looks AMAZINGLY delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainbow salad looks perfect with the cilantro lime vinegarette.Tofu looks nice and crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New to your blog and I love it! Makes being a vegan exciting with all these new things to try. Really loved this salad dressing!!!

    ReplyDelete