Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Red and Blue Potato Salad with Citrus Herb Vinaigrette


This was so fresh and flavorful, not to mention nutritious and so easy to make! The vinaigrette, when poured over the warm potatoes, gets all soaked up into the potatoes and the herbs really stand out. We served this as a side to my favorite Creamy Tomato Basil Soup, and I think this would also be a perfect addition to your upcoming 4th of July Menu, because it would be just as good served at room temperature! You can really use any small variety of potatoes here, I just really loved the colors of these. And definitely use fresh herbs, it is a must for this!!


Red and Blue Potato Salad with Citrus Herb Vinaigrette


What You Need:

1 lb. baby blue potatoes

1 lb. baby red potatoes

2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

2 tsp. fresh rosemary chopped very small

1 tsp. sea salt

pinch black pepper

Citrus Herb Vinaigrette (recipe below)

Citrus Herb Vinaigrette:
zest and juice of 1arge lemon
1 clove garlic, minces
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt , pinch of pepper

To make:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash Potatoes and half or quarterthe, depending on the size. Try to make them all similar in size. using a clean dish towel, dry off the potatoes to remove any excess moisture that is on them. Place in a bowl and drizzle 2 Tbsp. oilve oil over them. Add fresh rosemary, 1 tsp sea salt, and cracked black pepper and toss with hands to coat well. Cook for 45-50 minutes until golden and crispy on the outside.
While the potatoes cook, make your vinaigrette. In a small bowl add all of your ingredients and whisk well. This vinaigrette is thick from all the herbs, and kind of chunky. Set aside and let the flavors blend while the potatoes cook.
When potatoes are finished cooking, remove from oven, and place ino a nice serving platrer. Pour the dressing over them. Toss to coat well.

13 comments:

  1. Morgan, this potato salad looks so good. I am definately going to make it for 4th of July. I love the colors of the potatoes-it looks very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the 4th! I guess Veganaisse could be the 'white' but I see where you're going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never bought blue potatoes. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen blue potatoes...sounds very good and looks so festive. I'll have to make this, just may have to leave out the blue potates though. I don't think we have them here in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never saw blue potatoes.Need to keep an eye for them.Lovely looking roasted potatoes,must have been very delicious with the citrus dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made a similar salad which also included little white fingerling potatoes- so Red, WHITE and blue. I found blue potatoes in the grocery stores here in CT, they come in a very little bag and are very expensive (for potatoes) but definitely worth it. They are tasty and guests always comment on how pretty the dish is. Can't wait to try this salad with the soup- looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This kind of potato salad is definitely my favourite. It looks so delicious! And since I could eat potatoes every day, this is on top of my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm... I love potatoes so much. This looks very tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. I am definitely going to have to make it for our next family BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, I love the colors! It looks delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! This looks delicious and I love the blue potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I was totally planning to make this today, but I could not get a hold of blue potatoes. Still on the agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, Yum!!! I went and dug my first blue potatoes today and boiled them and got online to find a vegan potato salad for tomorrow. Shoot!! I should have broiled not boiled. NEXT TIME. there's more potatoes where I picked those...

    ReplyDelete