Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Portabello Sandwich


This was all that I wanted tonight! And boy did it satisfy! Sometimes a veggie girl just needs her a little portabello love, you know? This recipe is so simple and healthy, without any fussy ingredients. You can serve this with a fresh side salad, or some oven sweet potato fries, or how about some fresh corn from your farmers market? I served ours with a delicious gunsmoke coleslaw that I got over at the Allotment 2 kitchen blog...
Get ready to get your face messy, this is a good one!

Summer Portabello Sandwich

What You Need:
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, or your favorite whole grain artisan bread
4 large portabello mushrooms, stems removed
2 large vine ripened beefsteak tomatoes
Clausen sandwich sliced dill pickles (found in the cold section at most stores)
1 purple onion
Vegan pepperjack cheese (optional, we like Tofu Rella brand)
microgreens, or if you can't find these, sprouts will work fine
Vegan mayo (I like Veganaise by Follow Your Heart)
Annies organic ketchup
Annies organic smooth Dijon mustard
2-3 Tbsp. Olive oil
salt and pepper

To Make:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly clean the tops of the mushrooms with a damp cloth. Do not submerge mushrooms in water. Slice the red onions to 1/4 inch thick slices. Place the onions and mushrooms (gill side up) on a heavy baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes.

While the mushrooms and onions cook, prep the rest of your ingredients.
Slice the tomatoes and sprinkle them with just a tiny pinch of salt and pepper.
In a bowl, mix about 1/4 cup vegan mayo with about a Tbsp. of ketchup and 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard. Mix well. set aside.

When the mushrooms and onions are done cooking, slice the mushrooms into about 4 or 5 slices per mushroom.

Slice and toast bread. If using the Vegan pepperjack cheese, place a slice on the bread and lighty melt under a broiler. Spread the top slice with a little mayo mixture. Add a few tomato slices, a few pickle slices, portabello slices, red onion slices, and a big bunch of microgreens or sprouts.



18 comments:

  1. The Portabello Sandwich looks fabulous! I love all the microgreens that are on it. I am definately going to make this:) Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! I need to hunt down some portobellos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks soooo yummy!!! I love portabello mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! This is what I call a sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! I just got some Himalayan pink salt, HimalaSalt, from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I think I'll try it out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect sandwich! It looks totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard to go wrong with portobellos for a sandwich. This looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had my first portabello in what feels like FOREVER (before my break from vegetarianism)...now that I;m meatless again, I tried one and it was SOOO delish! this sandwich looks amazing! I LOVE sprouts, yum! Oh, and You look like Giselle in your pic, girl...beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Morgan.
    And for the kind link to the recipe on my blog. I've had so many new visitors recenty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, that's one good looking sandwich! and so simple! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, MAN! This looks amazing. I love everything on this sandwich, especially the portobello! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Morgan,

    Here's the baguette pan I used; It worked really well.


    http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Professional-Nonstick-Perforated/dp/B00004R91J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1277419239&sr=8-1

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, This looks marvelous and delicious! I think you're my new best friend. AND I love your blog. Come and see my sandwich blog sometime, I'd be honored. Keri a.k.a. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made this for supper and it certainly was one of the best sandwich I ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made this three nights running and love it! Thank you! Tonight was an open sandwich version - perfect for my diet! Your blog rocks, Morgan! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was great! I am still new to veganism (going on 8 months- go me!) but lately have had a hard time.... bored and frustrated trying to think of interesting things to eat. I am thrilled to have stumbled upon your blog - it rocks and has me back on the wagon! Thank you, Morgan!!

    ReplyDelete