Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tempeh Salad Ezekiel Wraps



This is so delicious and a really healthy meal. Look for sprouted grain Ezekiel wraps at your health food stores. They are made entirely from sprouted grains, using no flour, they are a complete protein, and have tons of fiber! If you can't find these, any good quality whole grain wrap will work great. I would double this recipe, it makes the best leftovers! You can put any toppings you want in the wrap, carrots and sprouts are great, and I used tomatoes and lettuce this time because that's what I had around. The recipe for the tempeh is adapted from a Native Foods recipe that they used to serve at their restaurant, and that was introduced to me by my good friend. I have made tons of variations of it since! This is my own little spin off of their "Palm Springs Wrap".



Tempeh Salad Ezekiel Wraps

What You Need:
1 batch of "tempeh salad" recipe follows
Ezekiel wraps
lettuce
cooked brown rice, that is seasoned with a little salt and pepper
chopped tomatoes
balsamic dressing to drizzle if you want


For the Tempeh Salad
2 packages tempeh (16 ounces total)
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce, or 3 Tbsp. or reuglar soy sauce or Tamari
2/3 cup water
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp minced ginger
4 stalks celery, finely diced
4 Tbsp. fresh dill (to taste)
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
squeeze of fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
Pinch of salt and pepper (only if needed, taste first, then add)

Start by cutting your block of tempeh into 3 pieces (squares). Then cut each of those squares into two triangles by cutting at a diagonal.

In a small bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger and whisk well. Heat a large saute pan to medium high heat. Lightly coat the bottom of the pan with a few Tbsp of olive oil. Saute the tempeh triangles until they have a nice golden color. Then add the marinade to the pan, and reduce the heat to low. Let the marinade reduce and be soaked up by the tempeh completely. The tempeh should have a nice golden color to it. Place the tempeh on a plate to cool.



Once cooled, chop or crumble the tempeh into small pieces in a large bowl. Add the celery, dill, mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and stir. Taste to adjust salt and pepper.

To assemble the wraps:
Gently warm an ezekiel wrap. Add some lettuce, a little brown rice, tempeh salad, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper. You can also drizzle the top with a little balsamic vinnaaigrette if you want.


ENJOY!!



17 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! I wonder if it's possible to bake a homemade version of the ezekiel wrap. It sounds so delicious and Germany definitely lacks decent tortillas or wraps. Tempeh is clearly a wonderful ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic idea. I finally bought my first jar of vegan mayo. I had wanted to try some sort of mock chicken salad recipe using tempeh, but yours is the first I've seen that involves sauteing the tempeh first. Yours wins! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ezekiel Wraps looks delicious. I am definately going to make these:) I love that you used sprouted tortillas. Thanks Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrumptious!!! I got my almond milk stuff in the mail today!!! Can't wait to make it!

    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks fantastic. This is next on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! Especially the tempeh!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question for you Morgan- do you roll it up like a wrap and leave ends open or fold like a burrito? Looks really good. I am going to try it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mihl-
    I bet if you did some research you could find a way to make the wraps by hand, I have never tried though. I know that some have had success with making the Ezekkiel bread by hand...hmmm,I will look into it a little and see what I can find. :)

    Ordinary Veg.-
    You will love the vegan mayo. I actuually never EVER liked mayo until I discovered vegan mayo. The flavor is so good! Also, you will love the tempeh cooked this way (browned with a glaze), it makes it extra delicious!

    Heather-
    Awesome! I'm glad you got all of your stuff! There really is nothing like homemade nut milks in my opinion...

    Cynthia-
    If I am using a softer whole grain tortilla, I roll it up tucking the ends in llike a burrito. But with the Ezekiel wraps, they are a little stiffer and harder to roll, so I usually only fold up one end and then roll it up gently, leaving the other end open, so it doesn't break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been using eizekel bread for a long time now but did not know wraps were available too.Got to look for them.These wraps look very delicious.Love the tempeh salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your blog. I always have trouble cooking with tempeh. I am "following" you now. Check me out too, and follow me if you like my blog :) elilaiann.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Tempeh. I'll add this salad to my list of recipes I need to try. Hopefully, I can make it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I'm stopping by from Heather's blog~ and now I'm a follower. :)

    My family is vegan and veggie (my 7 and 5 year old are veggie... but aspire to be vegan)

    We always appreciate those who share such delish recipes! So thank you! :)

    Love your whole blog~ there are already so many things that I can't wait to make!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your blog! Everything on here looks amazing!!!

    I made this last night but mine came out super salty.. The package of Tempeh I found was pretty small and the soy sauce was not low sodium. Do you think it was that I didn't have enough Tempeh or that I should use less soy sauce? Otherwise.. so good! The Tempeh was amazing, just really really salty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah-
    I used low soadium soy sauce, and I also doubled the recipe for everything else except the marinade, becasue it makes the best leftovers! so I will go make some adjustments on the recipe for smaller amounts on the marinade. Thanks so much for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, adjustments have been made! ENJOY everyone, this is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We ran out of wraps because it was so good!! We used the leftover tempeh salad and mixed it in with pasta. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cant wait to try this. I need to get better about working with Tempeh..sometimes when i open the package and see those moldy looking spots and I just freak and out and I can't do it! I love when other people make if for me though! The first thing i thought of is that this would be great with a added smokey or chipotle taste..gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete