Tuesday, July 27, 2010

California Cobb Salad with Miso and Herb Vinaigrette


This is my own spin on a cobb salad, and it was wonderful, and had so much flavor. Plus, I love that this could stand alone on its own as a meal, no side dishes needed! It's so nice when a salad has some substance to it. No itty bitty teeny tiny wimpy salads for me!
Baked savory tofu, creamy avocados, tempeh bacon, and lots of veggies with a healthy miso and herb vinaigrette, and you hardly have to dirty a dish making it! Pack up the leftovers for a quick and healthy lunch the next day...


California Cobb Salad
with Miso and Herb Vinaigrette
Serves 4-6

What you need:

1 full head of Romaine lettuce, chopped bite size

1 cucumber, peeled and chopped

1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

1 pkg. Trader Joe's baked tofu, (savory flavored) or any other brand of baked tofu


1 avocado diced

1 recipe for Miso and herb vinaigrette (below)



Miso and herb Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup chipped basil

1/4 cup fresh parsley

1 Tbsp. mellow white miso paste

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

cracked pepper


Mix all ingredients with a whisk. This vinaigrette is supposed to be kind of chunky with all of the fresh herbs going through it.



To assemble your salad:

In a saute pan, cook your tempeh bacon according to the pkg. instructions. Cool and crumble into smaller pieces.

Dice your baked tofu and your other vegetables. Drizzle your avocados with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning. Layer all ingredients on the salad and top with the delicious and healthy dressing!

18 comments:

  1. Your Cob Salad looks beautiful & delicious. And, it looks very hearty. I am going to have to try the tempeh bacon, it looks really yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, that looks beautiful and delicious! It's so hot here, I've been making salads for dinner a lot. This would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These recipes both look amazing!! Your blog is just blossoming! I just joined your fan page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing!!! Gotta love a good, hearty salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful looking salad, and sounds so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one sexy salad, if you don't mind me saying so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you felt super healthy after eating it as well. Not gross from eating alot of eggs, meat & cheese like a normal cobb salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh i never thought of tempeh bacon on a salad! good idea lady! yums. aloha, a

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I haven't had Cobb salad in YEARS...I always got it minus the bacon, eggs, etc...so I am LOVING your veg version of it! Think it's time to make myself a HUGE, meaty, vegan Cobb salad :-)

    Thanks for the awesome recipe, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! Amazing picture-Makes me hungry just looking at it. I will have to try this recipe-Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a cob salad, vegan or otherwise, but I suddenly feel like I've been craving it for years. I think I actually have everything to make this... Consider it a done deal! Thanks for the recipe, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this salad last night for dinner (and had leftovers for lunch today)....wickedly good!!!! This is going to be a staple for our house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Melissa!!! I'm so glad you liked it!! Thanks so much for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete