Monday, July 19, 2010

Chocolate Nutty Brownies with Vanilla Coconut Whip



Helloooooo my fellow foodies and chocolate lovers! Thank you all so much for all of your emails and for all of your great feedback on my recipes! I love and appreciate all of your responses! I have received many emails expressing much love for the Chocolate Fudge Muffins. I decided that since so many of you have really enjoyed this recipe, I would give you another fun way to make something else with it. This one looks fancy and impressive and makes you feel like you are having something very indulgent and special!

Did any of you see our fellow vegan Chef Chloe Coscerelli kick some butt on Cupcake Wars on the Food Network a few weeks ago? Well, if you didn't see it, she most certainly did! She beat out her non-vegan cupcake baking competitor, and it was really cool
to see a vegan win something on Food Network! So I have to say GOOD JOB to her. Speaking of Chloe, I was browsing her blog the other day and I found the most genius idea! She used coconut milk, chilled it, and used it to make perfect whipped cream! This is honestly brilliant if you ask me. I can't figure out why I didn't ever think of this myself! Since I loved the idea so much, I had to make something with it immediately. Of course when I want something sweet, my thoughts usually turn straight to my Chocolate Fudge Muffins. I added some walnuts, and made them "brownie style", then sprinkled the top with extra nuts and chocolate chips, and topped it off with the amazing vanilla coconut whip. It was a chocolate lovers dream...


Even though I love to cook and create things myself, I am also so inspired by all of my fellow food bloggers who have really awesome ideas and blogs to share, and I love to try your recipes too! So thank you for the whipped cream idea Chloe! I will be using this recipe again and again and again! I think it has endless possibilities and was so delicious! And thanks to the rest of you for all of your great ideas as well! Happy Cooking (and brownie eating!)!



Chocolate Nutty Brownies with Vanilla Coconut Whip



Follow the recipe for Chocolate Fudge Muffins, adding in about 1/4-1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but I looooove hazelnuts and think they would have been so good too!)


Place the batter in an oiled 8x8 inch square Pyrex dish. Bake the brownies at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, Take the brownies out 5 minutes before they are finished, and sprinkle a few Tbsp. each of chopped nuts and chocolate chips on top, then place back in to bake for 5 more minutes. This makes the brownies pretty! Set aside to cool.





Vanilla and Coconut Cream Whip topping:


1 can or regular full fat coconut milk
about 1/3 cup powdered sugar (to taste)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Chill the can of coconut milk for several hours. After chilling, scrape the "cream" from the top of the can. Beat or mix adding in the powdered sugar and the vanilla until it is sweetened to your liking.


Place a square of brownie on a plate, top with a nice healthy dollop of the coconut whip. Add some fresh berries on the side if you have them!!!




Delicious and incredibly simple!

19 comments:

  1. Nutty brownies with vanilla coconut whipping looks very delicious.Awesome thought to make whipped topping with coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking today that I wanted to make a chocolate cream (tofu) pie, but didn't know what to do about a whipped cream topping. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not normally much of a sweet tooth, but this looks and sounds absolutely yummy! I have to try that coconut whip soon, and I can think of a more perfect vehicle for it than that gooey chocolatey brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look awesome. I will have to make these for my family. They will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy...I can't wait to try these! They look so delicious! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely mouth-watering photos, the lighting is perfect! And as good as those brownies look, I think I could just eat a whole bowl of that coconut whip. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i too saw chloe's recipe (though on vegweb) and am so excited to try it out! i have a can of coconut milk in my fridge now, hopefully separating and getting ready to transform itself into coconut cream for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg omg omg! I have been looking for a whipped topping that was yummy and vegan and I am so so so excited to see that I can use yummy coconut milk! Do you only use the creamy part on top or do you use the entire can? So thrilled to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely delicious and beautiful. I have tried the chocolate muffins before and they turned out amazing. I would love to try this recipe and excited to use the whipped coconut milk for the top. This will be next Sundays dessert! Thank you:)XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shenendoah- You will LOVE this on top of a chocolate pie like that. It will be perfect for it! You better post a picture of the finished product for me to see!

    Bittersweet- Thank you!! That is SUCH a compliment coming from you, who always has such amazing photos of your own! Honestly, I have no real speacial equipment or skills, its all luck! haha! And, ummmmm...I did eat a bowl of plain coconut whip. It was that good...

    Nina- Yes, only use the Coconut cream that is at the top of the can, leave the liquid out. This will make it perfect and extra creamy delicious! Its soooooo good!!!

    Thanks everyone else for the comments! You all have to try it, its SO YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG...why are you doing this to me...I am trying to eat my computer screen right now, haha...I'm glad you did this, because now I will make it, and I'm SURE my hubby will try it! He's not into my "vegan" desserts, but I'm sure I can sneak this one by him!!!!

    Thanks!!
    Laury (The Fitness Dish)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My!! This sounds wonderful! I will for sure try the coconut whip cream after I buy a can. Do you think I could use the milk in the carton? Tonight I made brown rice pudding with almond and coconut milk and and it was great. I would love your peach recipe. I love that you share your talents with us. One day maybe when you visit St George we can get together for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indra-
    You can definitely use the milk part for something! Easily. Try making a coconut, mango and cilantro jasmine brown rice, baking some tofu, and making a big salad drizzled with my clinatro basil and coconut vinaigrette (look under salads, its on the rainbow salad recipe and it uses the coconut milk from the can.) Or just make the dressing from that recipe for any salad using the leftover milk. Or using it as part of the moisture in a muffin with fresh berries folded in! Yum. That would be Delicious! I will have to make something and post it for you! It's officially on my list of things to do! And we will FOR SURE go to dinner next time I visit. I would love it! SO fun! I haven't seen you and your family for toooooo long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nut brownies! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness. What a dream dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy freak.... that looks absolutely amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will definitely make these next time I make brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for passing along the recipe for Vanilla and Coconut Cream Whip topping!! I've been looking for alternatives to whipping cream and this will be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete