Thursday, July 29, 2010

Double Berry Muffins with fresh lemon glaze



These are a spin off of my original lemon blueberry muffin. While those are delicious as they are, I packed these ones with two kinds of berries, and topped them with a fresh lemon glaze, which made them ridiculously good! There is no substitute here for the fresh lemon juice, you have got to go fresh squeezed for this one!!! Use whatever combo of berries you like and can get. I used raspberries and blueberries and it was perfect!


Double Berry Muffins with fresh lemon glaze
makes 12 muffins

What you Need
:
1/2 cup earth balance vegan butter
1 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp lemon extract
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened) mixed with juice of 2 lemons
2 cups of white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup raspberries

Fresh Lemon Glaze:
Juice of 1 lemon
about 1 cup (estimate) of powdered sugar.
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
teeny tiny pinch of sea salt to bring out the flavors

Mix with a hand mixer or standing mixer using whisk attachment. Add enough powdered sugar until the mixture is slightly pale, and sweet. Somewhere between 3/4 cup and 1 cup of powdered sugar is what you will need to get the right consistency for the glaze. I know in the picture my glaze is still slightly wet looking, but it will totally firm up! It becomes dry to the touch, not wet, and is soooo good on these!

To Make:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cups.
With a standing mixer or a hand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter until pale in color. Add the applesauce, extracts, and lemon zest. Mix until just incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and almond milk and mix until incorporated.
Very gently fold in the berries.
Fill each muffin almost to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow the muffins to fully cool before dipping in the glaze.
Once the muffins have fully cooled, make the glaze, and very gently dip the top of each muffin in the glaze. Hold upside down for a minute to let excess glaze drip off the top. Then let the muffins sit for a minute to allow the glaze to set.

12 comments:

  1. Yumo....these look and sound delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I never mentioned that I was all ready to make your lemon blueberry muffins and then I looked at the recipe and saw the evaporated cane juice and xantham gum. Neither of which I could acquire immediately. Anyway, I made some really lousy dry muffins instead. Just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Michelle!

    Shen- you can use regular sugarr if you cant get evaporated cane juice sugar (it is the samee texture). I just prefer the evap. Cane juice sugar. It is in with the regular sugars though, and it is not a juice (just a heads up, some of my readers get confused and think it is juice). Also, the xantam gum is optional. I have made these tons of times without, and they still turn out really good, I just think the samll amount of xantham helps the texture of the muffin a little. You have to make some of these, I can PROMISE you that these will not dissapoint. Not dry at all!!! :) Thands for the comment as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um..... WOWZAH!


    These look incredible!!!

    Do you ever work with arrowroot? I have it, and have been meaning to see what else I can use it with (as a sub for another ingredient). I can never bring myself to by the Xanthan Gum..I have seen it at Target, and should of grabbed it...now when I go back, it;s never there, only super expensive at Whole Paycheck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laury!
    I looooove arrowroot powder. I like to use it as a natural thickiener for things, and I also think it works well as a replacer for eggs in some things. Wow, nice to know that they carry xanthan gum at Target! I had no idea, but that is great news for people who dont have access to health food stores. So thanks for sharing!! I do think xanthan is expensive. To me, it does help hold things together and improves the texture, like muffins and cookies, but it isn't crucial to the end product. Sometimes in muffins I will add a Tbsp of arrowrrot mixed with 1 Tbsp. of water. That works good too! :) But if you do get the xanthan gum, it will last you FOREVER, so it kind of makes up for the price. You only need 1/4 tsp or so in a recipe. Thanks for stopping by girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for berry muffins with lemon glaze! Haha... they DO look just like mine! :D We def must think alike!

    I love how you used two types of berries.. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! And I especially like the glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your lemon blueberry muffins you fed me and the kiddos when we were over. You definitely have the muffin gift! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last picture is killing me. Your recipes always look so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your berry, lemon glazed muffins look delicious!! I am excited to make these. I have some really cute muffin papers that I received from Lay in Japan. This will be really fun to make and use them. I will take pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These were really, REALLY delicious. I just made them, so fantastic. I didn't even make the glaze to go on top, the muffins themselves were so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dino- Yay! So glad you loved them! I agree, them muffins alone are delicious enough to eat just by themslves too! Thanks for the feesback!

    ReplyDelete