Sunday, July 4, 2010

Falafel Pitas with Tahini Sauce

My family loved this so much we had it twice in one week! It was so good! I know traditionally falafel is deep fried and really crispy on all sides, but this is my healthier version of the original. I just pan fried mine on two sides with a few Tbsp olive oil and it worked great and tasted really great. I also tried baking some of the falafel, which also turned out really good! If you live near a Trader Joes (man, I love that store!) they have an awesome tahini sauce for this sandwich. If not, just get your favorite hummus and that will work great also. Another bonus, it's so kid friendly! We served it to the kids in a deconstructed manner, so that thy could dip everything. It was almost like chicken nuggets for a veggie kid! They loved them, and the chickpeas provided them with lots of protein, the herbs are packed with nutrition, and the tahini sauce is loaded with calcium! Also, my secret ingredient for these is the Panko Japanese breadcrumbs. Get some made from wheat flour, and they add a nice crunchiness. I hope you enjoy these as much as my family did!


Falafel Pitas with Tahini Sauce
serves about 4 comfortably


What You Need for Falafel Balls:
1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 small yellow onion
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
3/4 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
small handful (about 1/2 cup) parsley
small handrul (about 1/2 cup) cilantro
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Panko Japanese breadcrumbs (try to find wheat flour Panko)
Fresh lemon wedges for squeezing over cooked falafel


In a food processor, mix all ingredients except Panko Breadcrumbs and lemons until very smooth. Add the Panko breadcrumbs and pulse to incororate. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a small ice cream scooper (about 1 healping Tbsp.) scoop up balls and place onto the parchment. Place the baking sheet with falafel in the refrigerator to chill for a frew hours if you have time.

Cooking the Falafel:
Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add a few Tbsp. of Olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Place your falafel in the pan and cook for several minutes on each sie to create a brown crispy crust. When done cooking, place on a towel or baking sheet to cool off, and sqeeze a few lemon wedges over them.

If baking your falafel, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the falafel balls become crispy on the outside. Squeee fresh lemon wedges over the top when finished baking.



For Falafel Sandwiches:
You need:
cooked falafel balls
Whole wheat pitas
Sliced tomatoes
sliced cucumbers
microgreens, or sprouts
Tahini Sauce, or your favorite hummus

Cut the pita in half. Sread hummus or drizzle tahini sauce into the pita. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, microgreens or sprouts and 3 falafel balls. You can drizzle a little extra tahini sauce on top if you want. Serve with an extra wedge of lemon on the side.

If serving this to young children:
Serve the sandwich deconstructed. Put some tahini sauce or Hummus in a small dipping container. Serve with all of the ingredients that would go into the sandwich on a plate for them to dip. Kids love this!


19 comments:

  1. Wow Morgan-these Falafel Balls are amazing. I love using garbanzo beans, so I know I will like this recipe. I love that you showed how to serve it for kids too. I am printing this recipe with the pictures to add to my collection. I will make it next week-I am excited. You are so creative. YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so yummy. I am going to make this recipe to see if Mckenna will eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, that looks soooo good! You can't beat falafel - one of the many reasons it rocks ot be veg :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make it sound so easy. I have yet to try to make Falafel even from a box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am literally soaking garbanzos for falafel right now. There must be a falafel wave length I'm following. Falafel is one of my very favorite dishes. These sandwiches look so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonnna have to try this one- my littles are not wild about falafels... yet...

    I'm still working on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your falafel look perfect, and vibrantly green, just the way I make mine. Beautiful photos, I can practically taste them through the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you through the kind life blog. Your recipes look delicious, but I'm having a hard time reading the text since it's dark and so is your background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love falafels and your pan-fried version looks especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those were wonderful and super easy to make! I had a little trouble mixing the ingredients, as I used a blender instead of food processor. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a healthy version. I love garbanzo beans and hummus is my favorite dip too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone! These were delicious if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made this recipe last night and I loved it! It was so easy throwing everything into the food processor and then baking them meant little to no clean up afterwards.

    Instead of drizzling tahini sauce on the falafel pitas I made up a faux Cucumber Yogurt dip using 12 oz. silken tofu - they went great together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. K- So glad you liked the recipe!! Ok, your dipping sauce sounds delicious too! I bre that was so good with it! Thanks for the comment/feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...that looks great! My kids would love the dipping platter concept. I am definitely going to try these out. I've never made falafel myself, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had this for lunch today! So, so, so good!!!! I've never tried falafel before and I thinks it's my favorite vegan dish now! It was so crunchy and so full of flavor! Delicious! Next time I'm going to make a double batch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks so delicious! now i have to decide between this and an egg tahini recipe i found...so hard to choose!!

    http://www.draxe.com/video/egg-tahini-salad-transform-your-kitchen-ep-23/

    ReplyDelete