Friday, July 9, 2010

Fresh Vegetable Spring Rolls with Sweet and Savory sauces

This meal could possibly be my very favorite lunch! Sometimes food in its most simple form tastes so good and is just what I need!The rolls are entirely raw aside from the rice paper, which means they are full of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that will make you glow and feel great! I grab these all the time while I am out and on the go from stores in my area, but I have actually been making them for years, and they are so easy to make. The cutting takes a little time, but once you have everything in a nice little assembly line for yourself, its pretty quick and easy. I always feel so refreshed, light and energized after these. I love to have a sweet sauce and a savory sauce to dip in, so I get a different taste with each bite! You can really use any vegetables you want, these are just some of my favorites! Rice paper wrappers are found at Asian Food Markets, and I like to use the larger size. They are so much easier to work with! Enjoy these alone for a nice light lunch, or make them for dinner with a side of brown rice, or my very favorite fruit salad.



Fresh Vegetable Rolls with Sweet and Savory Sauces

What You Need:
Rice Paper wrappers (found in Asian food Markets)
Carrots cut in matchsticks
zucchini cut in matchsticks
Cucumber, peeled, seeds scraped out, and cut in matchsticks
Red Bell Peppers, cut in matchsticks
Baby spinach, or shredded cabbage
salt and pepper
Agave lime and mint sauce( recipe below)
Cilantro lime peanut sauces(recipe below)



To Make:
In a large skillet, heat about 1 inch of water until pretty warm, and then turn off the heat. lay a damp kitchen towel out on your work surface. One paper at a time, dunk into warm water and let sit for about 10-15 seconds (do not over soak). Lay the paper on the damp kitchen towel. Place a little of each vegetable on one end of the rice paper. Roll up the bottom, then fold in the sides, and continue to roll up like a burrito. Place on a separate damp towel. Keeping the rolls on damp towels will keep them from sticking and drying out When ready to serve cut the rolls in half, dunk in the delicious sauces, and enjoy !




Agave Lime and Mint Sauce:
adapted from a sauce that I watched Giada de laurentiis make
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 small handful (1/4 cup) of fresh mint
a few drops of Japanese Chili Oil or a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Blend all ingredients in a blender until mixed well. Pour into a small dish for dipping.




Cilantro Lime Peanut Sauce:
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted all natural peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water
1 inch piece of grated fresh ginger
1 small clove minced garlic
2 Tsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Japanese chili oil or red pepper flakes to taste and desired amount of heat
Mix all ingredients with a whisk well in a bowl. lace in a small dish for dipping.


To keep the spring rolls fresh while waiting to serve, place a damp cloth underneath the rolls and also lay another damp cloth on top of the rolls. This will keep the rice paper soft.

We served this with my very favorite fruit salad! Its amazing!! And pairs perfectly with this meal. I could eat this all day, everyday! You can get the recipe here! My kids love it too, and it is so healthy! Or, you can serve with a little brown rice which I also love.


Pineapple, Mango, Coconut and Mint fruit Salad from
The Veggie-Full Kitchen


17 comments:

  1. I am on a huge spring roll kick- I love them and I don't feel bad about eating a whole bunch of them! Your sauces sound amazing- I will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spring rolls. I'd eat them all the time but every time I try to make them the results are less than pretty. But, yours look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious. I love rice paper rolls! I bet the cilantro lime peanut sauce is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm buying the ingredients for this on Monday!!! I can't wait to make it! I'll let you know how it goes!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told Carissa this yesterday -- these are Summer Rolls. Spring Rolls are fried I tell ya! (Also, I see you put some Avocado in there, looks delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beautiful spring rolls! I made some the other day and everyone on my blog was correcting me and telling me they are called summer rolls. I don't know but in Hawaii we call both the deep fried ones and these "spring rolls." I think that spring rolls are one of my favorite lunches as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your spring rolls look perfect. I like that you have two sauces. These are making me very hungry:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! The dipping sauces also sound really good--definitely a nice change from the same boring sauce I use whenever I make summer rolls haha. I am so intrigued by that fruit salad, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to make these! Your sauces look so good. And thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! You definitely know how to make great summer food! That salad looks absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morgan! I love these fresh rolls! its very true...they are very light and refreshing but oh so yummy :) I was going to do a post on this too...hehe! great minds think alike??!! Your posts are always lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful and colourful. Simply delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made these yesterday for lunch. Served them up with some miso soup! So fun and yummy, and the sauce is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all so much!
    Honeyfloral- Im glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so light, healthy and yummy. I have no doubt they were.

    Esp liking the sound of the agave lime mint sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm making salad rolls tonight. Great minds think alike! I haven't decided what sauces I'm making exactly, so I'll use yours for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We loved these rolls! Morgan, thanks for the recipe and for showing me another delicious way how to eat raw vegetables. I'm also a big fan of the Cilantro Lime Peanut Sauce now! What do you think it's going to be good with besides these rolls or eating it with the spoon? :)

    ReplyDelete