Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Greek infused salad with Quinoa and Sun Dried Tomato Basil Dressing


This salad struck the perfect balance of feeling substantial, yet also leaving you feeling light and energized after. It is full of vegetables, with the addition of hummus and nutrient packed quinoa. I topped the salad off with a fat free sun dried tomato and basil dressing that I made. It added the moisture and fresh flavor I was looking for without overpowering the Greek infused flavors of the salad. This is what I call a healthy dinner!


Greek infused salad with Quinoa and Sun Dried Tomato Basil Dressing
Serves 4-6
What you Need:
Romaine lettuce a few cups per salad being made
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
small handful of Greek black olives
small handful of green olives
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
2 cups cherry tomatoes , halved
2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cups artichoke hearts packed in water
plain hummus, or use your favorite flavor (probably about 1/2 cup total)
1 batch Fat Free Sun dried tomato basil dressing (recipe below)


Fat free sun dried tomato basil dressing:
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil, just dried) soaked for about 10 minutes in 1 cup hot water, reserve the water
1 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1-2 tsp salt, add a little a a time and taste as you go to achieve the right flavor for your liking
pinch black pepper
2 tsp agave nectar
soaking liquid from the sun dried tomatoes

Soak the sun dried tomatoes for about 10 minutes in hot water, reserving the soak liquid. Add all ingredients except the soak water in a blender and blend well. Add the soak water and blend. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper to your liking.


To assemble the salad:
Place 1-2 cups of romaine lettuce on the plate. Add about 1/4-1/2 cup of quinoa on the lettuce. Dollop about 2 Tbsp of hummus on top of the quinoa. Add 3-4 Tbsp of each vegetable to the salad, just depending on how you want it. Top the salad with fresh cracked pepper and drizzle with the dressing.


Enjoy this super healthy nutrient packed meal and feel great!




9 comments:

  1. Your salad looks wonderful and the dressing sounds so Yummy. I was thinking about having a big salad tonight for supper. I am going to try your dressing out...it sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great summer dish! I bet adding the quinoa really makes it a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful. I like a big salad with lots of stuff in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this salad & dressing recipe Morgan. Your creations are always so good and very appealing. I have some sun-dried tomatoes that I bought awhile back and they have just been sitting in my pantry forever. I have never used dried tomatoes, so I am excited to finally have a recipe to try them in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! I am bookmarking so many of your recipes. Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! My mouth is totally watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this for lunch and it was SO good! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!
    Laura- I'm so glad you like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this for lunch today. Added roasted red peppers and topped with a sprinkle of vegan parm, so tasty!

    ReplyDelete