Saturday, July 24, 2010

Loaded Nachos with roasted peppers and smokey "cheese" sauce


Oh my goodness. You are in for a real treat! This turned out amazing! Satisfying, substantial, and bursting with tons of flavor. My husband said that it was so good he couldn't stop eating it, and my kids thought it was awesome too! In an attempt to try and think of a way to create a "nacho cheese" type of sauce with what I already had around, I ended up with what is sure to be a favorite for us now. What I love the most about this meal is that it is made from regular, easy to find ingredients. I know I could have thrown some Daiya vegan cheese on these (and that would have been yummy too) but lots of my readers don't have easy access to this product, so I wanted to use something that everyone could find and make. I decided to use creamy roasted red pepper hummus as the base to my "cheese sauce". It's healthy, easy to find at the store or make yourself, and lot's of us already have it sitting in the fridge. I added some spices and nutritional yeast to the mix, and was left with a vitamin packed, protein filled cheese sauce that added such an amazing flavor to the nachos. Trust me on this one, it may seem strange to put a hummus based sauce on nachos, but it was YUMMY! Make a batch of these for your next movie night and your friends and family will love you!


Loaded Nachos with Roasted peppers and smokey "cheese" sauce
serves 4-6


What you Need:
Chips (enough to cover the bottom of a regular cookie sheet)
1 roasted poblano pepper (leave this out if you don't like spicy food)
2 roasted red bell peppers
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 batch smokey nacho "cheese" (recipe below)
1 batch Mexican black beans (recipe below)
1/2 cup pico de gallo
1 cup fresh cilantro


Smokey "cheese" sauce
3/4 cup roasted red pepper hummus (or plain hummus can be used here)
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/4 to 1/3 cup water, depending on the starting consistancy of hummus.
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. The mixture may seem somewhat thin, but it is supposed to resemble a nacho cheese, kind of runniy and easy to drizzle over the chips, and it will thicken up when it bakes. Set the mixture aside.


Mexican Black Beans
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
juice of 1 lime
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

Mix all fo the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.


Roasted Peppers
You can do these on a grill, in the oven, or under a broiler. I chose to do mine under a broiler. Choose your method, and cook or roast the poblano and red peppers until the skins are charred and blistery. Remove from the heat and place immedietly in a large bowl. Cover the bowl to allow the peppers to steam. Once the peppers have cooled remove the skins and seeds and give them a small diced cut.


To Make the nachos:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover the pan with tortilla chips. Drizzle the hummus "cheese" sauce over the chips, then sprinkle the thawed corn, mexican black beans, chopped roasted peppers, and bake for 15-18 minutes, until everything is warmed through. Remove from oven, and squeeze 1/2 lime over the nachos. Top with 1/2 cup of fresh pico, and 1 cup of fresh cilnatro.

23 comments:

  1. okay, i've been meaning to buy smoked paprika for awhile now... this recipe has made me vow to accomplish that goal this week/asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this looks delish!! Perfect for movie night....thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hummus for 'cheese' is a really interesting idea. I will remember this at super bowl time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so good that I am getting stuff to whip them up this week! Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm...! I make a super spicy hummus with habanero and jalepeno peppers...I think this would be the perfect base for this sauce...thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! These look awesome! I am a sucker for nachos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome. I love the pic. I am definitely going to try to sneak these nachos into Kenna's diet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look TASTY! Yumm-o. Even the kiddo might like some of this on a tortilla!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea for nacho toppings. You are just too clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absolutely delicious!! You are a genius when it comes to creating recipes. I love this:) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! That looks amazing! Brilliant idea to use hummus as a base! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! I'm glad that you didn't do Daiya cheese- as I *ahem* don't like it... (gasps!)

    I think that this sounds great- and my kids just saw the picture and asked me to make it tonight! (it will have to wait till next time)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too am not a Daiya lover, so I am glad you used something yummy to top your nachos with! I will def try this sometime I am craving Mexican food again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to eat the whole pan of them!! These look incredible. I love the ingredients you've used too!

    (P.S Yay!! Little House of Veggies is on Facebook & Twitter now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be trying this VERY soon. Love your blog and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ~The loaded nachos look fantastic.

    Thanks for the alternative liking the sound of the cheesy smoky sauce. I have never seen Daiya in the U.K, though not a vegan - I would certainly give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you everyone for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this the other night!!! It was a big hit with my hubby! And with me! It will definitely be a do-over in this house! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jyoti- SO glad you and the hubby liked the recipe!! Thank you for the comment/feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Igor and I absolutely loved these Nachos! It's awesome that food can be so delicious and so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, my omnivore boyfriend will gobble these up too! Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete