Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Morgan's Amazing Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


Anyone who says that you can't have an amazing, delicious cookie that is not only vegan, but also made with healthier ingredients, needs to eat one of these! I spent a very long time developing this recipe. I wanted it to be perfect. Tweaking it ever so slightly here and there each time I made them, adding this, taking out that, until I had what I thought was the perfect chocolate chip cookie, both in taste and texture. Well, many many batches of cookies later, I am happy to finally be sharing with you my amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe! If you didn't tell someone that these were 100% whole wheat, they wouldn't know. If you didn't tell them that they were void of all animal dairy products thought to be essential in making cookies, they wouldn't know. What you will taste is a cookie that is slightly crispy on the corners, soft in the middle, sweet, and oozing with melted chocolate chips. What could be better than that! To add to this recipe, you can throw in your favorite nut for a little extra crunch! YUM!

Morgan's Amazing Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 16 cookies
What You Need:
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Earth Balance whipped Butter
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Evaporated Cane Sugar (Trader Joes carries this by the regular sugar. Im sure whole foods does as well)
1/2 tsp. Blackstrap Molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. Arrowroot powder mixed with 1 Tbsp of water and set aside
1/2 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup oats
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
Chopped nuts of choice (optional)

To Make:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a standing mixer or in a bowl, mx the butter, sugar, molasses, sugar, and arrowroot/water mixture until mixed very well.
In a seperate bowl, mix your dry ingredients and add to the wet. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Stir in your chocolate chips and nuts if using.

Using a small cookie scooper (about 1 Tbsp.) place cookie dough on baking sheet, and bake for about 8-10 minutes. Take out and do not touch the cookies until they have cooled for 2 minutes. Then remove from baking sheet and allow to cool fully.

Important Side Note: This dough may seem more "wet" than usual cookie dough to you, but this is how it is supposed to look. Don't be decieved. They will turn out great! Do not add extra flour to the mixture. It will result in a hard crunchy cookie.

35 comments:

  1. Vegan Chocolate chip cookies look very delicious.Nice and chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look soooo yummy. I wish I could reach into the screen and munch them up right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to bring these cookies to a steak house and let loose! They look like they could turn any meat eater!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really wishing that you and all the other vegan bloggers would take a break! I can't keep up with all these recipes I need to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with The Shenandoah Vegan :) You just keep cranking out amazing recipes. I have to try these too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look yummy! I am going to have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to try these! Choc chip cookies were always my fave...one question though: how much cornstarch would you use to replace the arrowroot? I keep meaning to try & find some arrowroot, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thank you! Keep cooking....you are an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! These do look just right - I love that you gave a heads up that they are crispy, which is exactly what I'm always up for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morgan, these cookies look so delicious! I know they are going to taste wonderful, because everything you make tastes that way. I am very excited to make these. Thanks for another Yummy recipe. Good job & keep all the fun recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered your blog pretty recently, but see so many things I want to make! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. must. make. immediately.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine just came out of the oven. I'm so excited to try them! I had to use cornstarch instead of arrowroot powder, so I halved the amount. My cookies are looking a little flat, but I'm not sure if that's due to the high altitude or not. The batter was delicious, so I'm sure the cookies are going to turn out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so need to eat one of those cookies! They look amazing and one of my favorites too! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are soo good! i made half as many cookies because mine were really big apparently... and i ate some of the batter. YUM. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't made cookies in ages. These look wonderful and I really like the texture of oatmeal cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you say "white whole wheat flour" do you mean unbleached all-purpose flour? Thanks! These cookies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diana,
    No, White whole wheat flour is actually 100% whole wheat flour. It is just made with the albino wheat, instead of red wheat. It is more mild and sweet in flavor, while the red wheat is a little more bitter. It is completely whole grain, full of fiber and nutrition, and will totally CHANGE YOUR LIFE when you discover it! Its amazing. So just look for flour that is labeled "white whoole wheat".

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so excited to try these and I must say the flavor is really good. But mine turned out very flat-- not puffy at all. Before becoming a vegan, this would happen to my cookie recipes if I added too much sugar. However, I did follow Morgan's recipe exactly so I'm not sure what went wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello everyone! A few of you have said that your cookies turned out slightly flatter, and think it may be the type of butter being used. I always use Earth Balance WHIPPED variety. Just because thats what I always have around. I think it could effect the outcome, because I alwyas make this recipe and they are never flat. I have made the correction on the recipe to list using Earth Balance Whipped instead of regular. :) hope that helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mine didn't quite turn out like your picture, to say the least! they were flat (I used whipped butter) I don't know what I did wrong! They were absolutely delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Danyel-
    Sorry to hear that the cookies were flat. Make sure when measuing butter that it is exact, not heaping or overflowing the measuring cup at all. A little extra butter can result in a flatter cookie and make a big difference. This would be my first thought on why that happened as long as the rest of the recipe was followed. Hope this helped, and definitely give them another try, making sure to measure the butter just right, it can make all the difference! Thank you so much for the feedback, I always appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh don't worry we would make these again regardless of their flat like appearance ;) Tomorrow I will measure my butter more precisely! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Danyel- Ok, so glad you are trying them again. My cookies don't ever turn out flat, so I hope they are perfect for you tomorrow! Also, one more thing to try, I use a small cookie scooper for the cookies, I think it is about 1 1/2 Tbsp or so of dough, but I just scoop and plop them on the sheet. I dont flatten them at all before I bake. SO if you are doing them by hand, Try not to make the dough flat at all before you bake. Does that make sense?? Mine are nice and high looking before I put them in the oven. GOod luck!! And for those of you who don't have a small cookie scooper, you have got to go get one! They are the best and make perfect looking cookies every time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. In the oven now. So far... I realized that I think I did put too much butter AND I read the oatmeal amount wrong last time. I don't have a scooper but I rolled them into balls in an estimation of 1 1/2 tbsp! Let you know how it goes this time :) And maybe I'll get to eat more than two cookies since my children are asleep mwahah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Danyel- YAY! I'm So glad! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok, so I just made these and they ROCK!! Love your website Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Megs- Yay! So glad you loved them (I looooove them too!) THanks so much for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just made these and they are way too good!!! I used spelt flour instead of whole wheat and they turned out great. Your recipes rock!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made these cookies again today and I doubled all of the ingredients in the recipe except for the butter and they came out great. Previous attempts were really flat like other people had mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love you, Morgan. I'm not afraid to tell everyone! These are fabulous and no one would ever know they are vegan. I subbed cornstarch for the arrowroot and I used Earth Balance sticks but used 2 TBSP less (per Morgan's suggestion) and they came out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Girl behind the Glass- YEAH! So glad you loved them! THANK YOU for all the love your sending my way!! xoxo It is the biggest compliment to me to hear the great feedback. I worked on developing this recipe for such a long time to get them just right so that they were good just like any other cookie and were not "odd" to non vegans. I take them everywhere and always get asked for the recipe. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!! Keep up the vegan cooking!

    ReplyDelete