Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Raw Spiced Chocolate Truffles


These are my raw chocolate truffles that I make all the time, and they will totally make you happy! They are such cute little balls of fuel! I love to make a batch of these and keep them in my freezer so that I can grab them at a moments notice and have a very healthy "pick me up" snack made entirely of whole foods that will give your body great energy! If you have ever had a Larabar, this is really similar in taste. Raw food treats can be really expensive though, so why not make some yourself? These are as simple as it gets! And so delicious and good for you too!


Raw Spiced Chocolate Truffles

Makes about 35 truffles


What You Need:

3 Tbsp. raw cacao powder (pretty easy to find at health food stores, or purchase here)

1/3 cup unsweetened , uncooked shredded coconut

1 1/2 cups raw almonds

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

15 Medjool dates

3Tbsp. raw cacao powder (for the final dusting of the truffles)


To Make:

In a food processor, combine 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder and 1/3 cup shredded coconut. Process until the coconut is more finely ground up and mixed well with the cacao powder. Pour this mixture into a large bowl and set aside.

Next, in the empty food processor, add almonds, salt, and cinnamon, and process until the almonds are ground into pretty small pieces. Add the dates about 5 at a time while the processor is running, until all 15 dates have been added. The mixture may look dry and not sticky enough at first, but just give it a minute to continue to process. It will eventually become more sticky. Once the mixture starts to hold together well when you squeeze some between your fingers, it is done processing. Using a small cookie scooper or about 1 heaping Tbsp. start forming and rolling the mixture into little balls. Place the balls into the chocolate/coconut mixture and hold the bowl edges, wiggling the bowl to kind of toss the ball around in it to coat them well with the chocolate. . Continue this process with the rest of the almond/date mixture.

After all of the truffle balls have been made, place 3 additional Tbsp. of raw cacao powder into a separate bowl, and place truffles a few at a time in it to give them a final coating of plain cacao powder (this also makes them look pretty and more perfect).

Place in a storage container and store in the freezer.

See, I told you these were easy!

25 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy I may need to whip these up soon as I get my hands on some dates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a variety of raw truffles to keep in the freezer. I don't think I could live without them. Yours sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these sound fantastic. Definitely a perfect party treat too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to try these out for James to take to work after he finishes all the granola I just made him. He does love chocolate! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i love little raw chocolate balls too! they really do give you so much energy. i've been making dehydrated versions of these treats for weeks now (and eating them everyday too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. is there anything I could replace the coconut with? I'm not a big fan of shredded coconut's texture, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Raw Spiced Chocolate Truffles look beautiful & delicious. I love how you displayed them in the glass bowl. I definately want to make these tasty treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummm...these are a lot like the raw balls in The Kind Life, which I absolutely love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!
    Jillian- You can just leave the coconut out altogether. I only added it for flavor, so if its not a flavor you like, they will work perfect without any coconut.Because I processed the coconut with the cacao powder, it becomes pretty fine, so you cant really tell its there as far as texture goes. But if you do leave it out, you will only need to roll the balls in the cacao one time, just add enough in a bowl to be able to roll them in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these delicious, heavenly truffles today and I agree with Michelle, they are pure genius!! I put the 3 Tablespoons of Cacao in a bag, added all of the truffles in at once and shook it gently to coat. It worked really well. Then I put them in a container to freeze. I love these. You could also soak the almonds overnight, discard water & then dehydrate the almonds for around 6 hours. Use the dehydrated almonds in the recipe for a slightly different taste and texture.
    Thank you for sharing your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic and one to keep in mind for parties or to make as a gift for a friend. Even people who say they don't like raw food, would enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I have all of these things except dates...hmm...market tomorrow?
    :) Keep cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for all of your comments!
    BradWalton Fam- great idea with putting them in a bag and shaking to coat! Mess free!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, I'll definitely be making these little treats. They look awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy!!!! I made your fudge brownies for my b-day cake treat with the coconut whip....blogged and linked you
    http://www.thefitnessdish.com/?p=653

    ...thanks for the yummy recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, raw truffles, what a rich and luxurious treat! It's so hot here, I'm afraid they might get too gooey/oily if I try making them... But I bet they would be awesome even if I stored them in the freezer. In fact, frozen truffles sound like heaven right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUM! So good! Wanted to ask.. I had trouble with the medjool dates and my food processor. I have a pretty decent machine, Kitchen Aid and it would bounce all over the place and then shut off (I think it was overheating?). Not sure, ended up adding a little water to thin out the mixture and that seemed to help. Do you have any suggestions? Thx :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah- Im glad yoou liked them! Maybe the dates you got were a little dried out?? Im not sure. Did you get your dates from a bin, or were they still fresh with the pit in them? If your dates were too dry, you can always soak them in warm water for about 10 minutes before making this to soften, and you can also cut/chop the dates after soaking to mak the peices move around easier. That should help! Thanks for the feedback!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made these:) They are firming in the freezer as we speak!! I can't wait to try them:) I baked fresh coconut and chopped it up then pulsed it in with the cacao powder:) I looovvee coconut! Can't wait to try these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kailey-
    Yours sound like they are going to be awesome! Baked fresh coconut! YUM. You def went the extra mile! I love coconut too! :) Let me know how you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just made these and they turned out sooooo good!!!! Thank you, Morgan, for another amazing recipe! I actually mixed all the ingredients together, including coconut and cocoa, and added some agave nectar. The batter was very sticky so I had no problem forming the balls and rolling them in cocoa. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lana- Yay!! So glad you loved them. You are doing so awesome cooking up some delicious things over in your kitchen!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete