Friday, July 16, 2010

Southwest Scramble over crispy Baby Potatoes


I haven't really experimented with tofu scrambles much. I don't really know why. I like tofu prepared other ways. But for some reason it just didn't really appeal to me in a scrambled form. Everyone seems to love these "scrambles" though, so I figured, why not?? I'll give it a go and try to come up with something tasty. And let me just say that I will definitely be making this meal again! It turned out wonderful! So flavorful and so delicious! I think one of the reasons why I liked it so much was that I made it heavy on the veggies and beans, and used the tofu as the accompaniment to the whole dish. Plus, I served it over one of my husbands favorite childhood dishes that his father would make him all the time, pan fried potatoes. So needless to say, I had a happy husband as well! It all felt like a Southwestern style breakfast inspired dinner to me. And I loved it!


Southwest Scramble over crispy Baby Potatoes
Serves 4


What You Need:
1 block of extra firm tofu, (drained and pressed in a towel for a minute to remove some of the moisture)
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
cracked black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
5 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp. mustard
2 Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro

To Make:
In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp earth balance vegan butter over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion celery, garlic, and corn. Saute for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened and the corn is slightly charred.
Add your black beans, tofu, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes to incorporate the spices well and gently cook the beans and tofu.
Add mustard, nutritional yeast, tomatoes, and cilantro, and stir to incorporate. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper if needed.

Crispy Baby Potatoes:
4 heaping handfuls (4 heaping cups) of thinly sliced baby potatoes, any variety, I love fingerling!
season salt (to taste)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tsp earth balance
Cut the potatoes into thin rounds. Heat the olive oil and earth balance in a saute pan. Add the potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium-high heat. During the cooking process, stir often, and add season salt to taste. Continue to taste and season until they taste just right! The potatoes are done when they are golden and a little crispy, and tender.

To Serve:
Place about a cup or so of the potatoes on a plate and top with the Southwest Scramble. Garnish with a little extra cilantro. Sooooooo yummy!!!

22 comments:

  1. I don't do scrambles either, for some reason, but this looks awesome! Beans and lots of veggies are a win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stress enough how thrilled i am to make this!!

    Yay! thanks for this amazing recipe. :)

    i'm one happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks satisfyingly deeelicious! I love how it's served on the crispy baby potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very yummy, hearty and what I call comfort food-LOL. We all need some TLC Food and this one will definately pass from the looks of it. Good job-I would love to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been a fan of tofu scrambles either, but this looks so good I am definitely going to try it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a wonderful version of tofu scramble. Bookmarked to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This looks realy delicious and so much tastier than regular plain tofu scrambles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I made a tofu scramble over the weekend--but I've never thought to add beans. Will definitely be trying it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought to add beans either! That makes the scramble a real 'nutritional powerhouse'! Salsa might be good on top of that as well. I always make my scramble from a box mix (Fantastic Foods?), so another tip is to add a drained can of Rotell's Diced Tomatoes and Chilis to the scramble.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks aeveryone!
    Shenandoah- I didn't even think to put salsa on this, that would have been soooooo good! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so I think I have made at least half of your recipes now ;) this was probably my favorite. The two of us finished it all in one night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danyel- Awesome! I'm so glad that you liked it as much as I did! And so glad to hear your are trying so many recipes. Keep cooking girl!!! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was delicious. Mikey likes along with the kids. Ben said to me "Mom this would be good in a tortilla can you make some more tomorrow?"
    Thanks for sharing and my first time using the nutritional yeast. Thank you again for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm typing while eating this delicious dish. Sooooo good!!! Morgan, thanks for inspiring me to give a tofu another chance. This time it was a real success! One of the best vegetable dishes I've ever had in my life. Igor asked for seconds and kept saying how good it was!
    (This was Lana Koshkarov aka Svetlana :) )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for all of your comments!
    Lana and Indra-
    Yay! Im so glad you liked it as much as we do! This is one of my families favorite things!! Thanks for the feddback!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting this recipe. I made it for brunch today and it was so fantastic. This has become a new weekend staple dish in my family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay - I really want to try this, but haven't scrambled tofu either... how do you get the tofu from the block in the ingredients to that scrambled egg texture? does it just fall apart, of did you do something I am missing?! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rebecca! You just kind of crumble it slightly in your fingers and add to the pan...make sure that you use EXTRA firm tofu for this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant! thanks for the tip. I've just cooked it up and both me and my hubby loved it! Thanks so much for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was Great!....Thank you. I made some changes.... I didn't add the carrots and celery instead I just increased the corn. I also, had planned to add a can of tomatoes with chilies like someone suggested but my store only had tomatoes with chili seasonings (not sure if that was the same). I love chipotle powder so I used 1/4 tsp of that instead of the cayenne.

    ReplyDelete