Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stuffed sub with herbed "cream cheese" and vinaigrette




OK, if you can't tell from what I post often on my blog, It's safe to say that I am a sandwich and wrap girl. Those are the types of meals I love. They are always so satisfying to me, yet still really simple and easy to make. I mean, does a really delicious sandwich ever let you down??!

For the spread, I used Tofutti vegan cream cheese. It works wonderfully for this! I loved the mixture of the sauteed warm veggies along with the fresh veggies for crispness. And I topped it off with a very simple and quick vinaigrette to add a little extra moisture to the sandwich.

Wrap this in any type of bread, wrap, or sub that you like. I used a whole wheat french bread type of loaf, and it was really fun to serve it that way. I stuffed everything into it, and served it family style in the center of the table sliced into individual portions so that everyone could grab a sandwich to have with a side of vegetable soup. I have a family of 5, so it is fun to serve things more family style at the table, but if you are just feeding one or two, than this would be equally delicious rolled up in a whole wheat wrap. It was another meal in sandwich heaven for me!


Stuffed sub with herbed "cream cheese" and Vinaigrette

Serves 4-6


What You Need:
1 red bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
1 orange bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
1 large purple onion, thinly sliced
1/2 large English cucumber, thinly sliced
2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
romaine lettuce, or spinach, about 2 small handfuls
1 recipe for herbed "cream cheese", recipe below
1 recipe for quick Italian vinaigrette, recipe below


Herbed "cream cheese" :
1/2 container (4 ounces) of Tofutti vegan plain cream cheese (make sure you get non hydrogenated only)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
juice from 1/2 lemon
2-3 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley
1/2 cup fresh basil
Pinch of salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.


Quick Italian Vinaigrette:
In a bowl, whisk together 2 Tbsp. Olive oil, 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, 1 tsp dried oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Whisk well and set aside.



To Make:
Heat 2 Tbsp. Olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Saute the peppers and onions with a pinch of salt and pepper for about 5 minutes until softened.

Spread the cream cheese on one side of the bread or in your wrap. Then add the sauteed veggies, fresh veggies, lettuce, and drizzle with just a touch of vinaigrette on top. Add a little extra fresh cracked pepper, and then dig in and get your face messy!

11 comments:

  1. YUMMMM!!!! Sandwiches are my favorite food! Especially dripping in oil & vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a girl after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sandwich girl too! Looks soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this! It looks so yummzy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat a sandwich for every meal. When I got to vegan restaurants, I can't help from ordering a sandwich...but sometimes I make myself get something else. This one looks really good with the peppers. BTW, I'm a happily married mother of three, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan, you definitely know how to prepare a sandwich! I should show this to those subway guys with their greenhouse veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love sandwiches; this looks so delicious and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sandwich looks delicious. This is my kind of food-lots of vegetables and tons flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so much better than anything you can get at Subway! lol

    ReplyDelete