Friday, August 20, 2010

"Chick'n" and Mushroom Piccata with Creamy Garlic and Herbed Mashed Potatoes


Oh my goodness. If you are struggling with what to make your meat eating frineds/family that are skeptical about your vegan ways,  you need to make them this dish! Seriously! It turned out so good! It was flavorful and filling! I am already craving it again. What inspired me to create this dish was a recent trip I took to NYC. My husband took me to eat at Candle79 for our anniversary (which, I have to say was one of the best vegan meals I have had at a restaurant!), and I ordered the Seitan Piccata. it was so good! Living in Southern California, I obviously wont be able to get this meal whenever I get the urge. So, one of the first things I did when I got home was create my own version. Make this for your friends (or for a date night!), this is a meal that will totally impress them both visually and in flavor! The garlic and herbed mashed potatoes were heavenly. So creamy and the perfect compliment to the rest of the dish.

"Chick'n" and Mushroom Piccata with Creamy Garlic and Herbed Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4-6
printable recipe


Garlic and Herbed Mashed Potatoes:
1.5 pounds yukon gold or other small white potatoe, quartered
1 clove minced garlic
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance vegan butter
1/4 - 1/2 cup vegan milk (soy, almond, rice, etc.)
1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, and add the potatoes. Boil for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender.  Drain water. Add the rest of the ingredients to the potatoes. Add the milk slowly to achieve the right consistency , and then taste them and add additional salt and pepper to taste.


For the "Chick'n":
1 1/2 to 2 pckg. Gardein Chick'n Scallopinni (depending on how many you are serving)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. Earth Balance vegan butter
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season

Lay out your Gardein Vegan chicken on a cutting board and season each one with a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil and butter Gently dredge each of the Chick'n into the whole wheat flour, and cook in the pan on each side until lightly crisped and browned. Remove from the pan.

For the Mushroom Picccata Sauce:
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil,
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion
8 ounces of sliced shitake mushrooms
2/3 cup vegetable broth
juice of 2 lemons
2 Tbsp of capers, rinsed well, and chopped up a little
pinch of salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance vegan butter
Fresh parsley for garnish

In a bowl, combine the vegetable broth, lemon juice, and capers and set aside. In the same pan that you cooked the Chick;n in, add 1 Tbsp olive oil, and add in your garlic, onion and mushrooms, and a small pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are softened. Then add in your lemon/vegetable broth mixture. Deglaze the pan a little Cook  over low for a few minutes to let the flavors combine, then add in 1 Tbsp. of earth balance to the sauce and slowly melt it in. Add your Chick;n pieces back into the pan to reheat.  Taste the sauce and add any additional salt and pepper if needed. Be careful not to over salt though, capers will add a natural saltiness to the dish.

To Assemble the dish:
Place about 1/2 cup of the potatoes on a plate. Then add 1-2 chick;n pieces per person and add top with the Mushrom Piccata sauce and some fresh chopped parsley.


30 comments:

  1. That looks SO good! I am totally making it next time my parents come for dinner. They are very skeptical of the vegan thing, though slowly coming around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan- Just recently discovered your blog and I check it everyday to see what you have posted :)
    I have a favor/question: Do you think you could try to post a recipe of homemade seitan (as opposed to pre-packaged kind) if you have any or have the inclination to experiment with it? I am not a fan of eating the highly processed meats and I was hoping to prepare it from scratch b/c my hubby craves these meat based dishes. That would be awesome if you have the time!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got Piccata on the brain as well. (CreaMy not creany).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley! Definitely!! I will experiment this next week and post a recipe for you ! Stay tuned...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Thanks Shen!! I prob would have left it that way without knowing for way to long...fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop it!!! Now I've got to make this one too :)
    Just kidding...Never stop...I love your recipes.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy! I've made something similar with tempeh and it also turned out well. I've never tried Gardein's chicken and look forward to having some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i made this for my boyfriend tonight :] i thought it was great..a little too much garlic for me though but i will definitely make it again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morgan- Hey, cool name!! :) So glad you liked it! Ok, so I just updated the recipe after your comment to cut back on the garlic, using 2 cloves instead of 3, so thank you so much for your feedback!! Apprreciate it! Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. morgan this looks so yummy! and i think it would be great with seitan.... i am always looking for new sauces for homemade seitan, and i think i just found a new one to try! yum! also, i have two homemade seitan recipes on my blog if you need some assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! If it was recently????

    I am SOOOO making this dish!! The Italian girl in me Looooooves Piccata --never would of thought this up, you amazed me...as always :-) Another Little House of Veggies recipe to bookmark, thank you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy! I love how hearty it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks A-mazing! I have to have it. I could eat a trough of those mashed potatoes, and with the piccata on top; heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so tasty! Beautifully plated too! It's going on my list of must try recipe. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morgan Anger is the bomb diggety!!!! Love you sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS.... when are you going to be the VEGAN chef for Food Network?? I see it in your future!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks great!

    Jennifer
    http://livingachangedlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! My boyfriend loves mashed potatoes, I'm going to make this soon for him. Thanks!

    www.delicious-knowledge.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello everyone!! Thanks so much for all of your comments!

    Bakerymanis- thanks so much for the heads up on your seitan recipes, I will def. be checking those out!!!

    Laury, Piggy, Chow, Jennifer- Thanks girls!! I hope you all try this one! It really was super Italian deliciousness!!!

    Hezbear- You are so funny! haha! Thats why I love you! You have always been my biggest fan and taste tested anything I throw at ya!

    Alex- Thank you! You HAVE to make this for your boyfriend! It is a meal he would love, its delicious and also substantial!

    Thanks again everyone for all the comments!! Appreciate them as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks to die for, you make vegan look so appetizing. I can't wait to try it. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks SO DELICIOUS! I will definitely have to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks fantastic! Will definitely make that one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made this a couple of nights ago for my non-vegan husband and two toddlers. It was a huge hit! I've made piccata with the Gardein chick'n before, but this took it to a whole new level. I'm keeping this recipe in my back pocket for dinner parties. I'm testing out the tempeh tacos tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily- Great! Im so glad you loved it!! Let me know how you like the tacos!!!! :) Thank you so much for the feedback!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gooooooooodness does this ever look amazing!! I LOVE those gardein chick'n scallopinis. I just had one for lunch today with some brown rice and peas actually. But I am completely in love with what you did with them here! Will definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Made this last night, first recipe I have tried from your blog. It was fantastic! My husband is a very picky eater and doesn't like capers, so I left them out of the sauce, and it was still incredible. Highly recommended recipe! Making the Orange Cinnamon Rolls today!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hally- So glad you liked it!!! Thanks for the feedback, and enjoy those cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Finally got around to making this! I have got to say this is the first vegan meal I have made that screamed comfort food! This will be a reoccuring dish at our house! Thanks so much! Trying your refried bean and tostadas tomorrow night, cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was my first recipe I made from your site and it was fabulous! My meat loving husband loved this dish as well. I made this with a side of steamed asparagus and it was a perfect meal! Great recipe...keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Morgan - I can't find that flavor of Gardein here, although I can get the regular chicken. Any way I can sub that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete