Thursday, August 26, 2010

Morgan's Gooey Orange Spiked Cinnamon Rolls with fresh orange icing


What can I say, these really are heavenly. If your newly (or long time) vegan ways have put a little bit of a damper  on the whole cinnamon roll situation, well, I have created the solution for you !  I'm not going to call these "health food" by any means, but they are definitley soooo much better for you than a regular cinnamon roll. No shortening, white flour, eggs, milk, or cruelty involved! With the hint of fresh orange zest going through them, it makes them even more delicious. Make these up for your families on a weekend and see if anyone even notices that they are 100% whole grain, and completely vegan also!! Isn't vegan life amazing!!


Morgan's Gooey Orange Spiked Cinnamon Rolls with fresh orange icing
makes 12 rolls
*whole process of making these will take roughly 2 hours*
printable recipe


What You Need:
3 tsp dry active yeast
1 Tbsp evaporated can juice sugar
1/2 cup warm water

Whisk well in a bowl. Let sit for about 5 minutes until foamy. While this mixture is sitting warm in a small saucepan...


1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter
1 tsp salt
zest of 1 orange
2 Tbsp evaporated can juice sugar

Next, using a standing Kitchenaid mixer if you have on (this will make it so easy!) or you can do it all by hand, mix...

4 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1/8 tsp xanthan gum

Whisk well, and then slowly add in the yeast mixture and the milk mixture. Let you mixer knead this for about 8-10 minutes, or knead by hand. Lightly butter a bowl, place the ball of dough in, and cover with a towel. let this rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size. While the dough is rising, make the filling...

1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp evaporated cane juice sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon

Roll the dough into a large rectangle about the size of a cookie sheet pan. Melt a few tsp of Earth balance butter and brush the dough with the butter. Then sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture all over the top
Gently start rolling up like a snake starting at one of the long ends, not short ends. Roil up completely until you have something that looks like this...


Next, using a piece of floss, gently place the floss under  the cinnamon roll, then pull both strings up over the top, criss cross, and pull firmly to slice the dough perfectly! (this is the best trick ever!) Make the slices about 2 inches thick.  In a very lightly buttered large glass Pyrex dish, place the cut cinnamon rolls. You should have something like this...

Cover the cinnamon rolls one more time and let rise for about 45 minutes. While they are rising, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  After they are done rising, bake for about 15 minutes. Prepare the icing while the rolls bake...

Orange icing
1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
zest of 1 orange
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together with a hand mixer or standing mixer. 

Allow the rolls to cool for 10 minutes before icing them. Then spread all of the icing evenly over the top.
ENJOY, and when eating the leftovers, reheat for 15 seconds to make them warm and delicious all over again!!

26 comments:

  1. OH NO! I'm never going to lose this stupid weight. Stop torturing me with these recipes. Even though I'm yeast inept, I'll try these. My husband LOVES cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This looks beyond amazing! So pretty, perfect, and delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Mmmmmm....

    whatrunslori.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delish. My husband misses those "bad for you" cinnamon rolls. He will be so happy to know about this recipe. I will have to make these very soon. Thanks for sharing your recipe! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, you know I have failed in my last attempts for vegan cinnamon rolls. You are teasing me for sure! You need to look at being a part of Foodbuzz community. Your pictures are great and being a vegan is another thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love making those Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls w/the Orange Icing when I was little. Nevertheless, I'm going to try and forget I ever saw this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes yes yes yes yes yes pleeeeaaaaaase and THANK YOU!!!

    OMG!!! You are the most amazing woman in the world....anyone ever tell you that????!!! I need these like right now!!!

    Where do you come up with this stuff!!!???? I need more of your creativity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you make your spirals so perfect? I am truly amazed at your food artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! Your pictures are so great! I am definitely going to have to try these. My mouth is totally watering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd much rather you come and make them for me. YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! These look so delicious and perfect! No reason for anyone to ever make an unhealthy cinnamon roll after seeing these:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Orange cinnamon rolls used to be a holiday tradition, now I can bring them back! None of the other cinnamon roll recipes I've tried have worked very well. I'm going to save this for a breakfast in bed menu!

    Alex
    www.delicious-knowledge.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, these look so delish Morg! I don't think mine would LOOK as good as yours though! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're killing me Morgan! A slow, cinnamon roll death. Great way to die though, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look absolutely perfect! I need to start cooking though your blog, I have bookmarked so many recipes already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. After the other recipe, I tried of yours and no looking at this I vote cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Morgan, These rolls look absolutely delish! I can't wait to bake some up tomorrow morning for a weekend treat. Do you have any experience with gluten free vegan baking? The reason why I ask is that my best friend and I are both vegan, but she has celiac disease. I try to make my baked goodies gf so that I can share the love with her! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm excited to try these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a weakness for anything orange-flavored... definitely adding these to my "to try" list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Morgan ^_^

    Your cinnamon rolls looks PERFECT!
    YUMMY!
    Love you XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! Amazing, simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Everyone!!! Thanks so much for all of your comments. Im so glad I could lure you all over to the dark side via my cinnamon rolls. haha. I hope you do give them a try, they definitley were very tasty!!!

    Wendy- I dont usually cook gluten free, no one in my house is intolerent, but I do on occasion. I have found that garbonzo bean/fava bean flour is a good sub in place of regular flour. Bobs Red Mill has a good one. And then I would still add in the arrowroot and xanthan gum as well (Bobs Red Mill also has these). I havent personally made my cinnamon rolls gluten free, but I think it would work out great. I will give it a try soon and let you know how it goes with these...Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, if those cinnamon rolls aren't perfect, then I don't know what is! The idea of adding some orange into the icing is a wonderful little twist too, great for shaking up the same old vanilla approach.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dying to make these this weekend...can I skip the xanthan gum and just use a little more arrowroot? Isn't it just a thickener?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ashley- Yes, you can skip the xanthan gum and you dont need to up the arrowroot. The xanthan gum just changes the texture of the cinnamon rolls very slightly (helps the dough to hold together), but you can def. make them without and they will still be very yummy!! GOod luck!!!! Let me know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummm I can never resist a cinnamon roll! I love the photo of the sliced rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooo, I just mentioned on my blog that I rarely get to eat cinnamon rolls. I'm going to bookmark these and make them after I've completed my diet goal. :)

    ReplyDelete