Friday, August 13, 2010

Raw Southwest Salad


I'm baaaack! OK, well almost back. Technically I wont be home to my beautiful and sunny Southern California until tomorrow. I have been on vacation for the past few weeks, and enjoying some much needed R&R, Visiting New York City and wandering the streets of Manhattan, and spending some quality time with family.

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary while we were in NYC and had a romantic and soooooo delicious dinner at Candle79. It was one of the best meals I have had at a vegan restaurant. To die for! If you are in the area and have a chance to go, I highly recommend it!

I have also been hanging out at my parents place for a few days before I have to head back home. My Mom and I have had such a blast cooking! I made this salad for us this week, and we loved it so much we actually made it twice! It's amazing and so fresh, full of tons of nutrition, and entirely raw aside from 1 Tbsp. of Veganaise in the dressing. So you can feel really great about eating this! Its the perfect summer snack or lunch. You could also throw the filling into a sprouted grain wrap for dinner. I was going to wait until I got home to post this for you all, but I just couldn't wait to share. It's so yummy! I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!
For more of our cooking fun, check out what my Mom whipped up for us here.

RAW SOUTHWEST SALAD
4-6 Servings

What you need:
1 tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced
juice of 1 lime
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
1/2 zucchini, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped broccoli
3 ears raw fresh corn cut off the cob
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups spinach, chopped into smaller pieces

Creamy Cumin Dressing:
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp. Veganaise
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
pinch of black pepper

Wisk all dressing ingredients together and set aside.

To Assemble Salad:
Put all chopped veggies in a large bowl or serving platter. Pour all of the dressing over and toss well to coat. Taste and season if needed with any additional salt and pepper.

18 comments:

  1. Your Mom is gorgeous too. How lucky you are to have a Mom who is a health blogger. You should put together a family tv program for Food Network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! Glad to hear you've enjoyed vacation and family time.

    The salad looks and sounds delicious, and so perfect for summer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary and I'm glad to heart you are having such a wonderful vacation. I think I want that salad now. Thankfully I have a ripe avocado and most of the vegetables it calls for. I need to go shopping for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan, not only did I have a blast cooking with you, but eating all this good food was heavenly! I am going to miss you, even though it looks like a bomb hit my kitchen and I'm sleep deprived-hee,hee:) We sure have more fun creating in the kitchen than most people could stand-LOL. This salad you created was so delicious. You really have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy! And I already have all of these ingredients in my house...guess what is for lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How FUN!! I bet you could blend up some avocado instead of the vegenaise and it's be completely raw!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, your mom looks amazing! What a wonderful representation you both are for a healthy veggie lifestyle!!!

    This salad looks so yummy! I really love how there's avocado in it too.

    And I'm putting Candle79 on the top of my list of places to go next time I'm in New York City!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMm MMm MMMMMM!! We miss you so much!!! I have been checking everyday for new yummy posts :D Hope you're having an amazing time...sure you are!!! Can't wait to hear more...off to check out your momma's yummy food!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you are back! We need to catch up, best bud! BTW, this salad looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooooved Candle 79. My husband and I went there last year for my birthday/our anniversary trip! Salad looks good - fun to share cooking time with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this tonight for dinner- crazy yummy, love the dressing- had to stop my husband from eating the whole thing so I could save some for lunch tomorrow.

    So, what did you eat at Candle79?? Did you make it to Pure Food and Wine also?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shen- Thank you! My Mom is not only gorgeous, but sooooo humble too! I love her. And I am so lucky, she has taught me a lot about health and nutrition.

    Mom- Oh man, we had SUCH a blast We are soul sisters!! I agree, I dont think most people could stand being in a kitchen as long as we did creating recipes! It was soooo fun to make them and then eat it all up! You are such a great cook, and I always love everything you make me! Get ready for round two in a few months!!!

    Tofu Mom- What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!! Ill have to try that next time...

    Jennifer- Thank you so much! You are a doll. And you HAVE To go to Candle, it was truly, unforgetably delicious!

    Laury- Thanks! I had such a good time! Love New York! Ok, I am obsessed with your new store! LOOOOVE it!!

    Elise- Yes, we need to hang out PRONTO! And when we do, I am forcing you to make a batch of your Gooey Smore bar things. Oh man, those look amazing!

    Jenny- Wasn't their food amazing?! To die for!

    Cynthia- Hey girl! We ordered a saffron-lobster mushroom ravioli (one of the best dishes I have ever ordered ANYWHERE), and my main course was the Seitan Piccata, My husband ordered the pumpkinseed crusted seitan with quinoa-corn pilaf (both dishes were amazing, but I liked mine a little more), and for our anniversary dessert, we shared a mexican chocolate brownie with coconut ice cream. I went to Pure last time I was there, but didn't get there this time Pure is to die for as well! So good!

    Tanya, Mihl, and TIffany- Thanks girls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This salad was TO DIE FOR. You totally get flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum this looks so fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary, and welcome back! I've been missing your regular postings. Glad you had a nice trip. Someday I will go to Candle 79, I swear it!

    PS. Your mama is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this last night and the whole family (Kids 12 and 14 and Mom and Dad) LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. made this last night. can't. get. enough. Waiting to get off work and go home and eat more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah- Thank you! Yes, my Momma is very cute!And you HAVE t9o go to Candle!!! It was seriously amazing!

    Chris and Beth- Im so glad you both loved the recipe!! keep cooking!!!

    Eatme_delicious and Heather-Thank you both!!!

    ReplyDelete