Monday, August 2, 2010

Tostadas with Morgans amazing refried beans and oven baked tostada shells


I looooooove this recipe. For starters its so budget friendly! It takes just minutes to throw in the crock pot, and then you get to leave it all day, and come home to a house just filled with an amazing aroma, and a pot of the most delicious and flavorful beans waiting for you! They are so healthy, and they make the most perfect leftovers for creating a whole new dish the next day. Start with tostadas, then make burritos with the beans and fresh veggies for lunch the next day, or make quesadillas with beans and vegan cheese for your kids. Or how about a vegan style seven layer dip for movie night using these refried beans, fresh avocados, olives, salsa, and vegan sour cream and cheese? Or throw on top of a big veggie salad for a punch of flavor. Oh man, I could keep going. I created this recipe with no bean soaking involved. I know, I know, you should soak your beans overnight. But sometimes, a girl just doesn't have the pre soaked beans ready, and needs to get the meal cooking. So for this, you can just rinse the beans well, and throw them right into the crock pot. Easy as that. So here you go my friends, my super healthy version of an old favorite! Add in my oven baked and spiced corn tortillas for a healthier tostada shell. Enjoy!


Tostadas with Morgan's amazing refried beans
and oven baked tostada shells
Serves 4-6 plus some leftovers

What You Need:
2 cups dried pinto beans
5 cups of water
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 coves garlic. minced
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
pinch of pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

To Make:
Add all ingredients in a crock pot. Make sure that you have enough water that your beans are covered by a few inches. Cook on low about 10 hours (you can just let it cook all day), or on high for about 5-6 hours. Once fully cooked and the beans are very tender, mash the mixture well with a potato masher to the consistency you like. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with oven baked tostada shells.


Oven Baked Tostada shells:
Good quality vegan corn tortilla shells (try to find the stone ground kind if you can)
olive oil
cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush both sides of your corn tortilla with a little olive oil. Add a small pinch of each spice to each shell. lay on a heavy baking sheet and bake until slightly crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so they don't overcook or burn.

For Tostadas:
On a regular crispy tostada shell, or on my oven baked shells, add some of the refried beans. Top with your favorites, lettuce, salsa, fresh cilantro, olives or vegan our cream if you want.

SO GOOD!

33 comments:

  1. I've been debating what to make for dinner tonight. Wishing for a good crockpot recipe as we have a very busy afternoon. Perfect timing! This is the winner. Going to make it RIGHT now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan- this is a fabtastic recipe- we love beans, avocados and salsa here!

    Thanks so very much for this one- I pretty much figured that as a vegan- my crock pot would go unused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...YUMMY! I have been wanting a good, healthy, refried bean recipe! I rarely use my crock pot...only a few times in the winter...but even then, it never gets used! Thanks for the idea so I can brush off the dust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a dish similar to this, which I love making. It is so easy and delish! I've never sprinkled my tostada shells with spices though. I will have to do that the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan -- This looks wonderful! I am going to make it tomorrow -- getting a late start on dinner today. Thanks for continuing to inspire -- keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making Tostadas on Wednesday. No way they're a threat to your's though -- I use canned refried beans, store bought tostada shells, preshedded lettuce. Beautiful top picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! This looks perfect. I have a feeling this is going to become one of my regular meals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so going to make this. I have never had a tostada that looked that good anywhere, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOH this sounds wonderful I WILL be making these soon, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look beautiful! I love the idea of baking the tostadas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No judgement here on the canned beans - I'm a workin' girl too! Thank you so much for posting this. I'll have to make this. I like that you put a pinch of spice on your tortillas. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another yummy recipe! I love that it's an easy yet flavorful meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This may sound like a silly question, but is there a trick to eating these or should they be really messy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! that looks so good! and so many great ideas for the leftovers. Now I have got to get myself a crock pot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello everyone! Thank you all so much for your comments!

    Shen- Aint nothin' wrong with a little store bought help! right??!!

    Hi Cynthia!! Yep, you can definitely take the messy road if you want! I usually break off a piece of the shell and then dip it into the beans and other toppings. Or I eat all the toppings first and then pick up the shell at the end and eat it like a chip. Soooo good!

    Chow- Crock pots can be so handy! You have got to get yourself one!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great recipe. I just bought 10 pounds of pinto beans, so I am very excited that you posted this today. Tostadas are one of my very favorite foods. They are simple and delicious!! I AM GOING TO GET MY CROCKPOT OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just made these for dinner- really yummy- made some fresh salsa to go on top and topped with a few slices of avocado. Thanks Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bwaltonfam- definitely gotta bust out that crock pot!!

    Cynthia- Awesome!!! so glad you liked it! Fresh salsa and avocados are my favorite. Love them. Thank you so much for the feedback!! Appreciated as always! Keep cooking girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is in my crock pot as we speak, and it smells delicious :) All the great blogs out there are keeping me busy trying recipes. I need to make one of my recipes for once, but everyone else's sound better. Crock pot meals are kind of torture because they make you hungry all day because the aroma of the food fills the house from morning till dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome Piggy!!! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made these for dinner tonight and they were so unbelievably delicious! I have been vegetarian for 15 years and never ever liked pinto beans until now. Thank you so much! I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Morgan,

    These sound so delicious and easy! I'm a little hesitant though, because isn't it more gassy when you don't change the bean water?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi A! You can definitely soak the beans overnight and rinse well before making these! That will make them slightly less gassy..Enjoy, they are YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Making our second batch right now. These are wonderful to have in the fridge for a fast lunch or dinner. This is a family favorite now. Low fat,carbohydrates with protein with great taste! Thanks for all your recipes and the time it takes you with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Indra-Thank you so much! We have a batch in the crock pot right now also! Im glad you all liked the recipe! Keep up all of the great cooking you do for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous! It's 5am and these cooked allnight.. I'm having them for breakfast! You rock!

    Shelly
    www.lavoro.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Morgan - This was such a great recipe, I have already made it twice. I love your blog, your food is so creative, healthy, and your recipes are easy to follow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kimberly- Awesome! So glad you like the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Morgan - I have to admit I thought I ate really healthy and clean, having you as my friend has tought me different. I also would never thought how amazing your food is. Being into fitness my clean eating was great foods and healthy, what is called in the fitness industry as clean eating, you have changed my mind and my food habits, you have helped me and made me many dishes that are so amazing, I dont know what dish is my favorite that you have made for me cause there all amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awwww. Thanks James!!im glad you will happily taste test my recipes for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was great! I added avocado cashew cream http://www.cookingquinoa.net/avocado-cashew-cream to the top that was a huge hit! This was the first totally vegan family party we've had! It was a Halloween tostada party! Normally someone in my family will make a stink over having to eat vegan and will bring a meat or dairy dish, but this time I assured them they wouldn't miss it and I was right. Everyone LOVED it and they are some picky eaters. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete