Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Creamy Basil and Mint Pesto Pasta on Spinach



Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes! I had such a wonderful weekend! My husband took me out on a date Friday night, and then Saturday we spent the day out by the beach and took our three little munchkins on a boat ride, then headed into LA for some delicious grub at The Veggie Grill. Their Sweetheart fries are crazy good!! Hope all of you had a great Labor Day weekend as well!
A little while ago I made this avocado pesto pasta from Chef Chloes blog, and it was really delicious. I loved the creamy texture that the avocados gave to he whole dish! Plus, I'm just plain in love with avocados. I love them! And they are so good for you too!
So this is my own take on the idea of adding avocados into pesto. I used two different herbs in it for tons of freshness, left out the nuts, and added some veggie stock to it to replace some of the oil that would typically go into a pesto, and of course added in some creamy avocados. I served it on a bed of fresh greens. It was absolutely delicious, filling, creamy, satisfying, very healthy, and left me wanting more!!!
I served mine with soba noodles, but feel free to use any noodle that you love!


Creamy Basil and Mint Pesto Pasta on Spinach
Serves 6

What You Need:
2 packages soba noodles, or 1 box of regular pasta, any shape
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 2 lemons
2 ripe avocados
1 clove of garlic
few big handfuls fresh basil
1 big handful fresh mint
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3-1/2 cup vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
spinach


To make:
In a large pot of salted water, cook the noodles you are using according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Prepare the Creamy Basil and Mint Pesto:
Add the lemon zest, juice, garlic, avocados, basil, and mint in a food processor. Pulse and mix well. Drizzle in the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse to mix again. The pesto will still taste strong and lemony. Now slowly start adding in vegetable broth (about 1/2 cup) until the flavor and texture is good and to your liking. Add any additional salt and peeper if needed. Add the pesto to the noodles, and toss to mix well.

To Serve:
Place a large handful of spinach in the bottom of a bowl or plate. Top with the paste, and garnish with sliced tomatoes. Add a little pepper tot he top, and enjoy!!

17 comments:

  1. Morgan, this is beautiful. I look forward to trying this with the same lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe blew my mind when I saw it. I hope I make it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one! I share your love for the avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! -- Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Morgan!!

    wow! I just thought about cook some Basil Pasta.
    and this is looks soooo good!
    thanks for sharing^_^

    love ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan!! What a beautiful dish...it looks fantastic! i am a BIG fan of pesto and pasta...I love the idea of adding mint! Have a great night, chica :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious and healthy! I love it:) Good job on another fanastic creation that is not only delicious & nutritious, but easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how there's avocado in this!! Looks sooo yummy. I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I probababy have to start saving so that I can pay you a plain ticket to Dresden. I need you to be my personal chef.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always in full admiration for you Morgan. You run a successful, wonderful and inspirational blog that I just totally enjoy and love visiting, as it always offers something totally New. But you are also a committed and dedicated mama of three children. Wow. How do you do it girl / woman?! I am lost for words. Heartfelt warm wishes and total Respect.

    Oh the pasta dish looks so hearty too. Interesting with the addition of mint.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love basil and mint, and of course avocado! i bet they all taste awesome together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morgan, Your sweet mother turned me onto your blog. I made this dish for my non-vegan family last night and they loved it! I don't know how you have the time to create such wonderful dishes, prepare them, and post them for us to enjoy. But I sure am glad you've got it so together. Thank you, from a less creative, stay a home cook!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pesto sounds wonderful- Such a great combination of bright, zesty flavors! Definitely gotta try this while I still have mint and basil in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adding avocado is a great idea! I like the mint in there too. It looks delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds divine. I think I might have to make this for dinner sometime this week!

    I also love that you included the avocados- beautiful creamy touch, I'm sure. I must repost!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can find it on www.jewellintherough.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never used avocadoes like this before but I loooove avocadoes so must try it!

    ReplyDelete