Monday, September 27, 2010

Creamy Spaghetti with Roasted Eggplant, Portabellos and Cherry Tomatoes


Why is it still so hot here in Southern California?!!!!  It was like we were teased with a week of Fall weather, and then we were hit with some serious heat again! Please come soon Fall, you are my favorite time of year...

OK, so  I had no clue whatsoever what I was going to make for dinner tonight while I was wandering the grocery store earlier today (which is pretty much always how it is, I wing it with what I feel like at the moment). Sometimes I want a nice, cold crispy salad, and other times I need something warm, hearty, and comforting. I was leaning toward the comfort food today, and for me, comfort food is often linked with hearty mushrooms and eggplants. So I threw some of both in the cart, along with some cherry tomatoes, rosemary, and whole grain noodles. What resulted for dinner was soooooo delicious and totally hit the "comfort food" spot. I am looking very forward to the leftoversEnjoy my friends!!

Creamy Spaghetti with Roasted Eggplant, Portabellos, and Cherry Tomatoes
serves 4-6 main courses

What you Need:
1 pckg. whole grain spaghetti noodles
16 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes
2 Portabello mushrooms, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium purple eggplant, diced into 1 inch pieces
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig (about 3 Tbsp.) fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
2 1/2 tsp salt
cracked black pepper
1/2  cups vegetable broth
3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Tbsp. Veganaise (vegan Mayo) I know this seems weird, but it works, and its so good!
1 cup fresh Italian parsley

To Make:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large rectangular (9x11) pyrex baking dish, add everything except the noodles, Veganise, and Parsley. Cover and cook for 35 minutes, then uncover and cook for 5 additional minutes. Take out of the oven and add the Veganaise and parsley. Stir and taste, adding any additional salt if needed.
While the vegetables are roasting, Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the noodles. Drain, and add the veggie mixture to the noodles. Toss to incorporate everything together.

13 comments:

  1. These pictures are making me STARVING! And it's midnight! I miss you and your amazing meals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, your recipes are always amazing and this looks like another hit from your creative imagination! I cannot wait to make this because I know it will be delicious just like all your other creations. It looks gorgeous. HUGS:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, is there still hot? Japan was too, just start get cool a few days ago. This year is most HOT year in 113 years this is Record HOT DAYS.(day and night so hot)

    Anyways, your pictire is really look soooooo GOOD!! and YUMMY. tons vegetable spagetti, I LOVE IT !!! you always awesome. Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect comfort food! This looks incredibly delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I'm so perplexed by this heat wave! :( Maybe we all celebrated the end of summer/beginning of autumn too early?! Hopefully it cools down soon...I'd love for autumn to truly kick in...

    On a more positive note: the spaghetti looks delicious! I love that you added all of those veggies. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent idea (also, you can sub Sour Supreme for the Vegenaisse).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a yummy hearty meal. I agree with you about the mushrooms and the eggplant. This looks so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, what's up with the heat? Thankfully, it's suppose to start cooling down today. The spaghetti looks delicious! So colorful and I love roasted vegetables. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything you make always looks so fresh! I wish I had a longer season for fresh fruits and veggies, but I live in the Midwest. Lucky you :) Enjoy the warm weather for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yey, another great pasta recipe! been a while since I made pasta loving the new ideas!

    You know I have still YET to use Veganaise. I was not much of a mayo person, and I get freaked about using too many soy products...but I need to just buy it because there are SO many great recipes out there using it!

    I heard it's SO hot in So Cal, yikes...stay cool! I was complaining about how sticky it's been here, I need my fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, this looks fantastic! I loooove pasta.

    I hope you guys get some nice Fall weather soon! I was over the hot stuff by the end of August. I don't think I could take it at this point in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 100% going to try it out this week. Thanks. . .

    my site, hope you like it

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must say, I'm quite jealous of your heat- That's a problem I wouldn't mind having! Literally overnight, the temperature has plummet here and we're already busting out the long sleeves and cranking up the thermostat. Augh, it's so early to be so cold...!

    ReplyDelete