Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Strawberry Spring Rolls with two herbs and sweet red chili sauce, served with Bok Choy and Racicchio Salad

Happy Wednesday! Hope everyones week is going great! Had to let you all know that I have added a new
(and very cool feature) to the blog, if I do say so myself! If you look under the  recipe title you will see a link there now that says "printable recipe". So now you can have easy printing for the recipes! Have to say a big thank you to my gorgeous mom for the help with that. She is the one that set it all up for me (and you!). Thank you Mom! Ok now onto the recipes...
I know, I know what your thinking, strawberries in my spring roll???!  Trust me people! Not only does it totally work, but it also rocks! It is seriously amazing. The sweet from the strawberries balances the spicy sauce so well, and with the addition of some fresh herbs, it makes for one flavorful and fresh lunch, snack or dinner. When buying your sweet red chili sauce, look for the Thai Kitchen Brand, which is a healthier product. Also go for the larger rice paper wrappers if you can get them. It makes the rolling and wrapping so much easier!  Both the chili sauce and the rice paper wrappers can be found at your Asian food markets, and at specialty stores.  Serve this with my  bok choy and radicchio salad with sesame orange miso dressing. The dressing is so amazing! I think it is my very favorite one I have made ever!! And just looking at all of the colors from the spring rolls and salad, you just know you are doing something great for your body!

Strawberry spring rolls with two herbs and sweet red chili sauce
Make as many as you want!

What You Need:
Rice paper wrappers
carrots cut into matchsticks
cucumbers cut into matchsticks
avocado thinly sliced
strawberries thinly sliced
fresh mint and cilantro
sweet red chili sauce for dipping (Thai Kitchen brand is good)
fresh spinach to lay them on (not a must, just for presentation!)

To Make:
Heat about 2 inches of water in a large skillet over med. heat until warm, but not hot. Turn off the stove. lay out a damp kitchen towel to work on.  Take a rice paper wrapper and dip it into the warm water until it starts to soften a little, about 5 seconds. Then lay the wrapper on your damp towel. Place a few of each vegetable on wrapper, along with a pinch of both fresh mint and fresh cilantro. Roll the bottom up, them fold the sides in, and continue rolling the rest of the way. Slice in half and serve on a bed of spinach with he sweet red chili sauce.





Bok Choy and Radicchio Salad with sesame orange miso dressing
Serves 4-6 as a side dish

What You Need:
4 baby bok choy,  Chopped and rinsed well
1 small head of radicchio, chopped and rinsed well
3-4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch matchsticks

Sesame orange miso dressing:
1/2 cup orange juice (not from concentrate)
1-inch piece of grated fresh ginger
 2 Tbsp pure Grade B Maple syrup
 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp mirin
1 small clove garlic
1 tsp mellow white miso paste
juice of 1/2 lime
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup safflower oil
few pinches of black pepper

Put all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. The xanthan gum is not a must, but something I would definitely invest in. It makes your dressing creamy and helps keep the fat lower.

21 comments:

  1. Yum! Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Morgan, these look and sound delicious! I haven't tried making spring rolls yet, but I've been wanting to for some time now. I think this recipe will be my first go at it...sounds awesome! I can't wait to try them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is gorgeous, and so are you!!! I love the new feature..you will have to show me how to do that one day!!

    I love these spring rolls, they look SO refreshing!! The strawberry addition is just fantastic! I am one of those weird people that don't care for raddichio--but I LOVE Bok Choy!!! So I will have to sub for something, it looks delish, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the addition of strawberries to your spring rolls! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Morgan!

    Yummy!! Strawberry make really good taste! I would love it^_^
    (i know..1st impression is not good use strawberry.. but after eat.... make me addicted so much like a " Strawberry Daifuku " :) )

    Debbie is Super Gorgeous!! Morgan, you too! printable is really convenience for print you guys awesome!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. strawberry spring rolls, wow! i will have to try that. i once had jalapeno poppers served with a strawberry dipping sauce, so i know that berries and heat are an awesome combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan these recipes look amazing! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look awesome! I love spring rolls, I will be sure to try the salad as well.

    Love the printable recipe feature! So much easier than copying and pasting :)

    Alex
    www.delicious-knowledge.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the miso dressing recipe--yum! I like miso dressing on carrot salads. The bok choy salad idea is new to me. I'll have to try it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan, both these recipes look delicious. I love the strawberries in the spring rolls-they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you ladies for your nice compliments. You are all awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These recipes look great! Just wondering, though. Does the salad dressing really use 12 cups of orange juice? Seems like a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello everyone! THanks for all of your comments!
    Michelle- NOOOOO! It doesn't use 12 cups, it uses 1/2 cup! haha. Typo, but I fixed it. THanks so much for pointing that out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh, those spring rolls are pretty! I feel inspired to make some! Going to the beach this weekend and you just gave me the PERFECT idea for what to pack for a beach lunch!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What's it like to have a gorgeous mom? I'd like to read a post of that experience. Is it like that song, "Stacy's Mom Has Got It Going On"?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant idea to have strawberries in spring rolls! They look awesome and so colorful! I must try it before all the strawberries are gone from the farmers market. Thanks for the recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so creative! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for all the comments!
    Shen- your comment totally make me laugh! I remember that song!!! :) All I know is my Mom DOES got it going on. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful, colorful spring rolls! I never make them because I always have the worst luck with rice paper wrapper tearing, but these make me want to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete