Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Apple Harvest Salad


OK...I was complaining about the heat, but It has officially and finally started to feel like Fall here! I am in looooooove! The Fall just makes me giddy happy. I love Fall clothes, sweaters and comfy things. I love the leaves everywhere, and the holidays!  And of course, the apples!!! What better way to kick off the season than with a fresh, healthy salad. Pearl barley is yet another wonderful grain to incorporate into you diet. So good for you and a good change from the usual brown rice or quinoa for me! I love how tender this grain is. I think is works so perfectly in a salad!  Enjoy as it is, or with a crispy pita bread on the side or your favorite soup.
By the way, did any of you attend the Compassionate Cuisine in Long Beach California this past weekend that was put on by Animal Acres? I was able to go with my best friend, and we had so much fun! She blogged about our outing over on her blog, The Veggie-Full Kitchen.  I think it will be our new girls weekend tradition every year! 
Happy Tuesday! Have a great week!


Apple Harvest Salad
serves 6

What You Need:
! cup of pearl barley (measured dry) and cooked  (mix 3 c. water with 1 c. barley  and a pinch of salt in saucepan, cover and simmer for 45 minutes)
1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped
1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
2 tart apples of choice, chopped
1/2 cup dried cherries, look for plain, with no sugar added
1 cup walnut pieces, toasted at 350 degrees until golden 5-8 minutes.
Apple Harvest dressing (recipe follows)

Apple Harvest dressing:
3/4 cup apple juice (100% NOT from concentrate)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup of  evaporated cane juice sugar, or sugar of choice
1/2 cup purple onion, about 1/4 of a small onion
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. veganaise (vegan mayo)
1/8 tsp xanthan gum (opt. but improves the texture of the dressing without adding extra fat)

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Assemble the Salad by adding all ingredients except the dressing in a large salad bowl and tossing to mix. Serve the dressing on the side for drizzling.

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad it's starting to feel like fall for you!!!! It's nice when you get relief from the heat!! I am obsessed with apples right now! this salad looks so tasty...as always I love your creativity and the tips with your recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great picture! My mouth is watering just looking at it. I like your idea to use xanthum gum. I'm definitely going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my delicious! I have been CRAVING salad lately. Will definitely be going through your recipes this week and picking out a few!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan, this salad is gorgeous! I know it will taste amazing as well. Great idea to use barley~it looks really fun on the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dressing sounds incredible. Not as incredible as fry sauce, but close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shen;- haha!!! Nothing can touch the wonder that is fry sauce! I agree!! :) But the dressing is close...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan -- this looks perfect! I just got a bunch of apples and can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I don't think I have ever had a salad with apple. Time for this to change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Morgan, I am featuring this on my FF this week....hope it's OK if I hijack your pic for the recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely salad and blog, I hope you can find some nice recipe on my blog that can inspire you.

    http://saladpride.blogspot.com/

    cheers
    David

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ι'd my tonsils taken out when i was a kidit did absolutely nothing to avoid me from obtaining strep. Whilst an grownup I commonly find yourself with it a great deal

    Have a look at my weblog next page
    my page > sore throat pregnancy home remedies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific article! That is the kind of information that
    are meant to be shared across the net. Shame on the seek engines for not positioning this submit higher!
    Come on over and seek advice from my website . Thank you =)

    Also visit my site ... Truth about abs Book

    ReplyDelete