Thursday, October 7, 2010

Morgan's Veggie Chili and Whole Grain Cornbread

There is just something about a hearty, healthy, warm bowl of chili to make me smile on a day like yesterday, which was cold, wet, and rainy all day.  So here is my own special chili recipe that I have been making for years to share with all of you...of course I had to whip up some whole grain cornbread too. Cornbread and chili go perfectly together. This is the first time I have been completely happy with my cornbread! It turned out perfect! To me this is the best kind of Fall food! 


Morgan's Veggie Chili
with whole grain cornbread
Serves 4-6

What You Need:
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried mustard
1/4 tsp coriander
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed well
2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 1/2 cans water (using one of the empty bean or tomato cans)
recipe for whole grain cornbread (follows)

To Make:
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and garlic and saute untill the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Then add the bell peppers, zucchini, and spices. Saute a few more minutes. Add the rest of the ingredient except avocado and meatless ground. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 35 minutes,stirring occasionally. During the last 5 minutes add the meatless ground to the soup, crumbling it in your hands as you add it. Taste and add any additional salt to your own liking. Garnish each bowl with sliced avocado, and serve with warm cornbread.


Whole Grain Cornbread:
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup evaporated cane juice sugar (regular sugar will work fine too)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup soymilk, almond milk, or milk of choice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder or cornstarch, mixed with 4 Tbsp. water
1/8 tsp xantham gum (opt., but improves the texture slightly, helps the cornbread bind together better)

preheat oven to400 degrees. Grease a 8 inch square baking dish. Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Then add the wet to the dry. Pour into the baking dish and cook for 20 minutes.


24 comments:

  1. You are a true chef! I love how you just whip things up with your own recipes! That takes real talent. This looks like the best meal EVER!!! Amazing! Love you!! You are so talented. Btw, your blog has really taken off. Can't wait to see you as the Vegan chef on Food Network someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I will be giving that cornbread a try soon, I have tried many vegan cornbreads and have not been happy they always seem to be missing something. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes, I have you on my favs link and recommend you to all my veg friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eating chili with organic corn chips, just had it this week! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chili is one of my favorite comfort foods. Yours looks wonderful! And of course, a side of cornbread only makes it better. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh! This all looks so amazing! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Heather. You are destined for Food Network!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect post for the rainy day (where I am i Washington state)...so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmmmmmm!!!! Your chili looks WAY better than mine! I love how you added the avocado as a garnish! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chili looks perfect! And I think I have almost all ingredients on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~Veggie chilli is so on my list this winter. And I am thinking about serving it with some cornbread too. I too love the avocado garnishing. Nice and buttery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love veggie chili! Yours looks so warm and hearty. I love that you put dried mustard in it. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Veggie Chili looks amazing. I can't wait to make this and the corn bread. Delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious!!! LOVE the avocado on top too. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks...amazing! I'll have to try it-I love to keep soups and casseroles for a few days so I don't have to cook on school nights. I'll favorite this page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This chili is amazing! I made it for my son's "Cowboy Party" and it was a HUGE hit with everyone! Morgan rocks! Any ideas for a white chili???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Morgan - I want your mother to make me this chili when I get back from New York next week. Tell her to surprise me. Looks really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Morgan!! CHILI AND CORNBREAD looks AWESOME!!
    I wanna eat when some cold night, it will make me happy and warm.
    you are great!
    Love you so much xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chili and cornbread is such a classic combo, it's so good together. I love how hearty your chili looks with all sorts of big chunks of veggies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is definitely chili season again, and yours sure looks tempting! I've actually never served it with cornbread, but that sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds really good. I've used lentils as the meat substitute. Really adds a great texture. I'm going to try the cornbread for sure. Thanks Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cornbread and chili was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was so delicious! It's the best cornbread I've had. I've tried so many bad vegan cornbread recipes... this was so tasty. I made a few of my own substitutions to the chili and it still ame out fab! I haven't had a bad Morgan recipe yet!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know this has been around for a while but I want you to know that I absolutely love this cornbread recipe and I recommend it to everyone. I refuse to make any other cornbread now. You have ruined me! I also put a link to it on my new page I just published on my blog yesterday (under cornmeal). So thank you for being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know this has been around for a while but I want you to know that I absolutely love this cornbread recipe and I recommend it to everyone. I refuse to make any other cornbread now. You have ruined me! I also put a link to it on my new page I just published on my blog yesterday (under cornmeal). So thank you for being awesome!

    ReplyDelete