Saturday, November 6, 2010

Creamy Potato Bacon Soup with Chives


My inspiration for this soup came from one that I had as a kid. I suffered from migraines pretty badly when I was young, and they would make me so sick. So my Mom would ask me what she could do, and I would say, "Make me some of your soup". After I would have some I would always instantly feel better. Of course it wasnt actually the soup that made it all better, but mentally I thought it did. Probably because I loved it so much! It was like magic soup to me.  So I was talking to my Mom the other day on the phone and I was telling her that I wanted to try and make a version of the soup she made back in the day. Without a recipe and just playing off the flavors I remembered, I came up with something that definitely fit the shoe (the soup shoe that is!).  This soup is creamy, comforting, bursting with so much flavor, and very good for you too!  Oh, not to mention inexpensive to make, which is always a bonus. I used tempeh bacon here, and if you are not fond of tempeh, or aren't familiar with it, this is a perfect way to incorporate it. It has so many health benefits. And adds a really great smoky bacon like flavor to the soup. If you cant find the tempeh bacon, any vegan bacon will work fine.  Hope you enjoy!

Creamy Potato Bacon Soup with Chives
Serves 6-8

What You Need:
4-5 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp  turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 32-ounce boxes Vegetable stock
6 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups soymilk
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 package of Lightlife Tempeh Fakin' Bacon
1/2 cup chives

To Make Soup:
In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, until softened. Then add the carrots and all of the spices. Cook another 3-4 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to the lowest setting. Simmer, uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.While the soup cooks, in a saute pan, crisp the tempeh bacon, cut it into cubes, and set aside. In a small bowl, mix a little of the soup broth with a few Tbsp of whole wheat flour and mix well until no clumps are left. Then add that mixture back into the soup. Add the milk, and cook for about 5 additional minutes to gently thicken the soup. Stir in half of the chives. Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with the crisped bacon and chives.  And as always eat up and enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. I suffered from migraines when I was younger too, good thing that went away. This soup is amazing, girl! I bet it would ward off about any ailment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to get migraines too, in my early 20's...they were terrible. I never had a super food cure them though, for me it was massages and chiro appointments. That's amazing the power of food though in your case! This soup looks amazing!! I will have to add it to me recipe box ;-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your recipes - thanks for the constant inspiration around our dinner table! I'll give this a try next weekend....I love making up a different soup every week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'm making your chocolate chip pumpkin bread later today, now I want to try this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore potato soup! And I just bought a huge, huge bag of potatoes.Yay, soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup looks delicious!
    I always want soup when I'm sick ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This soup is absolutely gorgeous Morgan!! You are so talented in creating these beautiful, yummy recipes. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morgan,
    This soup is comfort in a bowl. I can only imagine all the goodness in it to ward of all those ailments that make you feel poorly. A spoonful of this soup can only make you feel strong!
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. B. U. T. Full. So the Tempeh is added after all is cooked? I have all the ingredients except the Tempeh Bacon. I even have a bag of Xantham Gum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, it looks so creamy and delicious! I haven't tried tempeh in soup before, but this sounds so good, I'll have to try it. And it's the perfect weather for it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... You have been on a roll! Everything looks so awesome. I've been out of the blog world while I was at my sisters so I just saw your blog for the 1st time in over a week. The pumpkin recipes look so yummy, and you know I love pumpkin! Can't wait to hang out now that we are back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Your soup looks delicious and I love your bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My neighbor made this soup a few days ago and brought some to me, so yummy!
    I am going to make it for dinner tonight, one question- you say to simmer for "25-10 minutes" did you mean 5-10 or 25-30? Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cynthia- Sorry for the typo! Simmer for 25-30 min. Sorry for the delayed response!

    Thanks so much everyone for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. which type of soymilk unsweetened?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this soup a couple of weeks ago and it is soooo good. Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes. I am making another batch tomorrow so I have delicious soup for lunch all next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This soup is absolutely wonderful! We just had our first snow in Illinois and this is the perfect cure tot he winter blues :) I absolutely LOVE the bowl that you have in this picture!! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kailey! Thank you so much! Im so glad you enjoyed the soup! I got the bowl at Pottery barn. :) :) Thanks for the feedback! Keep it cooking!!!

    ReplyDelete