Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crispy "fish" tacos with cabbage slaw and spicy tomatillo cilantro sauce



These are ridiculously delicious. We have been making them continually at my house lately! We cant get enough! I came up with the recipe trying to think a fun way to use the leftover dressing from our Taco Style Salad the other night. It worked perfectly for these. If you don't love tofu, you have to try my recipe for crispy baked tofu. Its healthy, baked, not fried, with no oils added, and is so crispy and satisfying.  This is  my vegan spin on a fish taco. Enjoy!


Crispy "fish" tacos with cabbage slaw and spicy tomatillo cilantro sauce
serves 4


For the crispy tofu "fish":
1 package of extra firm tofu
1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or regular wheat flour
2 Tbsp. creole seasoning
1/2 cup of milk of choice (soymilk, almond, coconut, hemp, rice,)
1 cup Panko Japanese breadcrumbs (these are a must!! They make them really crunchy/crispy!)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray or oil a large heavy baking sheet.
Drain the tofu and gently press it between a towel to remove some of the moisture. Be careful not to smash it. Cut the tofu into 1 inch thick "sticks". You should get about 14-15 of them. If you have a Trader Joe's, I highly recommend their Super Firm Tofu. It is the firmest one that I have found and works so good for this particular recipe.
Lay out 3 bowls. In one combine the flour and creole seasoning, in another bowl pour the soymilk, and in the last pour the Panko Japanese breadcrumbs. Dredge the tofu in the flour first, then dredge in the milk, and then into the Panko breadcrumbs, pressing to make sure it is covered well. Lay on the baking sheet. Finish this process with the rest of the tofu, and bake for 25 minutes until crispy.




For the Colorful Cabbage Slaw:
1/2 head of green cabbage
1/4 head of purple cabbage
1 large carrot grated
1/2 cup cilantro
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt, and pinch of pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp Veganaise vegan mayo

Add shredded cabbage and carrots into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat well.


For the Tacos:
Crispy Tofu "fish"
Colorful Cabbage slaw
corn tortillas (look for a clean brand that contains only 3-4 ingredients. Trader Joes has really good ones also)


Gently warm the tortilla. Place 1 tofu "fish" stick in to the taco. Top wit a little cabbage slaw and a nice generous drizzle of the spicy tomatillo sauce.


15 comments:

  1. I love your fish sticks! So awesome and simple!! I already have all the goods to make this too, double bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, WHY aren't you on the food network...or own your own Vegan Restaurant? You always have the most creative dishes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Ok that was a typo. Was supposed to say 25 minutes. Fixed it on the recipe! THanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan, what a fabulous recipe. It looks delicious & easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy goodness. .You never fail to satisfy my home-cooked meal cravings.
    health is riches

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks soooooo yummy! I feel like I have been out of the 'blog world'. It's fun to see everything you have been making. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet those fish sticks would be great with Fry Sauce. Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah! This looks fantastic! Love the flavor combos here! Sounds great. I like the "fish" tofu. :)

    whatrunslori.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all for the comments!
    Shen- YES, fry sauce is magic sauce and would be fab on my "fish" sticks! Good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tofu 'fish' sticks look pretty awesome. I wonder if I could fool my nephews into eating some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been dying to make this and today I finally did. Kinda. I made the cripsy tofu fish sticks and used corn tortillas. The rest I winged it. I made an asian "honey" mustard dressing and spring mix. Then I later added guacamole to it, delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura/Steve- YAY!!! So glad you tried and liked the recipe! The "honey" mustard dressing would be so delicious on it as well Im SURE! Sounds so good! Thanks so much for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete