Friday, November 19, 2010

Pumpkin Cookies with Spiced Pumpkin Icing




These don't need much of an introduction. They are pumpkin heaven on your tongue. Soft and moist, with an icing that you could just lick plain off of a spoon (I know, I did!). These are a must try!  Have a great weekend!

Pumpkin Cookies with Spiced Pumpkin Icing
makes 12-14 cookies

What You Need:
1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder mixed with 2 Tbsp. milk of choice (i used soymilk)
1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
Spiced Pumpkin Icing (recipe follows)

To Make:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a standing mixer or using a hand mixer, mix the butter and the sugar until pale in color and slightly whipped. Add the Pumpkin puree, vanilla, and cornstarch and mix to blend well. Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix again.  Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, drop by the heaping tablespoon on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake cookies for 12-13 minutes. Let cool for 1 min. before removing from the baking sheet. Cool completely before icing cookies.

Spiced Pumpkin Icing:
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter
1 Tbsp Pumpkin puree
3/4 cup of powdered sugar
very generous pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp. milk alternative (soymilk, almond milk, etc.)

With a whisk beater blend until creamy and mixed well. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill well to help it spread easily.


19 comments:

  1. Wow! These look amazing! I have been looking for something to do with all this pumpkin and I have been craving cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious! I loved cookies with icing when I was younger :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These totally made my mouth water just looking at the picture! Can't wait to try them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I actually have all the ingredients to make these! I hope I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy! As usual I have a question- Is there no sweetner in the icing? thanks for another great pumpkin recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, YES, there is sweetener in the icing! CYNTHIA, THANK YOU so much for pointing it out for me! I fixed my typo. :) Have a great weekend all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These Pumpkin Cookies look beautiful and delicious. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was reading the recipe as i was going to make these as well... and notice
    "mix the butter and the "somethings missing here?" until pale in color and slightly whipped" What do you mix with the butter? sugar?
    Cant wait to make these i have cooked pumpkin in my fridge that is needing a usage :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Durell! YES, mix the butter and the sugar! Fixing it on the recipe right now. Just whip the butter and sugar well. :) Let me know how they turn out! They icing is KILLER good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look fantastic. And I know I have everything in my pantry to make them. My boys (and myself) are sure to love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never got into cookies with icing,l but these look amazing!!! Still trying to figure out what I am making for Thanksgiving, will have to add this to the running!!! The recipe looks simple, but delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I accidentally found your blog and i'm so glad! i am now a follower. your pictures look so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound amazing...I must try them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look yummy.
    With Halloween gone, for me its Good to see pumpkin recipes still being featured on fellow bloggers blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just made these with my daughter - SOOO GOOD!!!! Is there any 'healthier' option to the plain sugar? Does Tamarind sugar work? The house smells so wonderful now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi T! So glad you like the cookies! There are many options for sugar, and the sugar I sued in these is evaporated cane juice sugar. BUt you can experiment with other options. I think sucanat (sugar cane natural) would work great in this also and is less processed as well.) I dont know personally about tamarind sugar in these, havent tried that but experiment and see how it goes!! :) Thanks so much for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! You should enter these in the Earth Balance Contest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Morgan! These were delicious and easy to make. You should write a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete