Monday, November 8, 2010

Taco Style Salad with Spicy Tomatillo Cilantro Dressing

Happy Monday foodies! I hope you all had a great weekend! With Loving Hut in the mix for me two times over the weekend, I was a very happy girl. Even though cooking is in my soul, and I love it so  much, I also appreciate a night out where I get a break from cooking and someone else cooks for me! It was so nice and relaxing!

OK, if you want a double whammy dinner, make my Chili one night, and reserve a few cups of the chili for this recipe. To me, nothing beats homemade chili, but obviously we don't always have a nice fresh pot sitting around, right? So if you don't have chili planned for the week, then just use your favorite store bought vegan chili. It works great for this too and makes for a quick and easy meal!  And you are going to looooooove this dressing! It is packed full of flavor! I have another really fun meal planned using the leftover dressing, so stay tuned for that! coming soon!

Taco Style Salad
with Spicy Tomatillo Cilantro Dressing
serves 4-6

What You Need:
1 package Lightlife smart ground or any meatless ground product
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
crack of pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 cans of your favorite vegan chili, or 4 cups of homemade vegan chili

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the meatless ground, and all of the spices. Cook until browned slightly, then add the chili. Stir and heat through, about 5 minutes on low heat, then remove from heat.

Spicy Tomatillo Cilantro Dressing:
3/4 cup Veganaise (vegan mayo)
1 clove garlic
7 tomatillos
1 cup cilantro (nice big handful)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Blend in a blender until smooth. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper if needed.

For the Salad:
Layer on a plate
Crushed tortilla chips
Chili mixture
Romaine lettuce
Sliced tomatoes
Salsa
Spicy tomatillo cilantro dressing

And as always...ENJOY!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. You did it again!!! Great recipe! I have to try your chili out...I LOVE chili!!! This is such a great way to save money and turn one dish into another delish dish!!! Bravo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I like your version on the tomatillos dressing. I do not add Veganaise but I might just have to do that next time. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous meal Morgan!! Taco salad is one of my favorites and your fresh tomatillo dressing sounds like it will be awesome. I already printed the recipe and will definately make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salads are always the best, girl! What a good one for winter, I feel all warm just looking at it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh! That looks great! I am so hungry now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now THIS is a salad!! I love tomatillos! This looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had a taco salad for awhile now, this is making me drool. And with tomatillo dressing, extra drool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! My mouth's watering! And that dressing! Thanks Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No way... You must be a mind-reader. I just bought a package of that Smart Ground stuff for the first time yesterday and have no idea what to do with it. Problem solved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent idea on the crumbled tortilla chips as a base.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This version looks especially tasty. Sounds delicious!
    health is riches

    ReplyDelete